• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RE-CAP My SBE Console V

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Got up, got a cup of coffee, and started the re-cap on my SBE Console V.

Short story. Got this one back in ohhh.. mid 1980 in a pawn shop here in Deer Park. Weird thing is, as I recall Console V's only came out in about 1978 so whoever had it didn't have it long. Anyway, when I got it AM did not work but SSB did. Using early skills (which weren't that great!) I tracked it down to, I think, Q602 (2SC1061) that fed the audio (through the AM//USB/LSB switch when in AM) back to the final and driver.

Was able to use it until about 1983. Second son was born and I had to give up the room and, to be honest, not a lot was going on at the time.... so off into long term storage it went.

A few years back (2005 ish) pulled it back out and hooked it up to a Radio Shack 5/8 wave and it was disappointing. It worked.... kind of.....but not well. Only put out about a watt at the most. Receive audio was BEYOND weak... I mean...with the radio on and volume full up.... you could not hear the normal AM atmospheric trash unless you were IN the room and within about 5 ft of it. Even when signal was present (which there was, there were some operators active 10- 15 miles away!).... the audio was way way weak.

So I have been slowly sauntering in this direction for a number of years... telling people I was going to do it and then never quite getting the proverbial "round tuit"!

A few months ago I was contacted by Klondike Mike. Having seen some of this he was wondering if I might be willing to turn some of my racked up documentation as he had been requested to make up a cap kit for the Console V. I did.... then he did.... and I wound up getting the kit myself. The baggie has been sitting here on my bench since then.

Enter...... "THIS MORNING". I just looked up ....and said.... it's time!

I AM taking it slowly as, with my feeble eyes and hands less steady than they once were, it takes me a little time to locate each one, track it to the right pads and do the deed.

That said, I've got the power supply done, everything UNDER a shield done (and the shields back on!). And one or two on the main board. So Done with the PLL can and the Up/Down logic.

I know you have all heard it before, but I REALLY AM being careful that I get polarity correct putting the new ones in (literally... MULTIPLE checks before I stick the new one in) and using my magnifying hood to check for bad soldering and bridging. All things considered... it's going well!

With that, we are having some visitors tomorrow so I'm gonna go help the missus do some cleaning around here. (BY THE WAY, she just retired... yesterday was her last day at work!)

So at this point, I would say that I am about 1/3 of the way done (15 caps out of 48)....BUT..... I have done all the ones that I think of as more "time consuming" which leaves me all the ones on the main board.

And I came up with a question for those with the experience....

On the back of the board.... was a 10uF 16v electrolytic cap..... bodged on the traces. On the component side it is directly across a resistor and on the base of a transistor that is part of the channel scan circuit. The thing is, I took the callouts (Q806 and R120) and went to the schematic.... and that cap is NOT there!!!!!

Also, inside the PLL can.... the spot for C813 (1uF 50v) was empty. Not like.... somebody took it out. Like...it was NEVER THERE!

Does either of these two findings surprise anybody?

Thanks folks! Onward through the fog!!!!!!! I will be getting back to complete it.

Great read!

Passed Memphis a few hours ago and was hearing a quite nice sounding Base off of an Antron at 50’. Retired truck driver. Big Fire in the Wire. Wouldn’t be surprised to find him here

Said a friend helped connect-the-bones.

ED33AD6B-DA04-4FA5-9264-3B9BE9EB1C54.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: r carl
Hey Mike. So far so good.... it just took me a while to get the time that I could dedicate. I am confident in doing the "work" but being extra careful as it is my first time!

That said, I can tell you it is a couple short but am wanting to finish first so that I would know that I was correct in telling you what I had to do. but at the most it only seems to be about 3 caps short. I was planning to let you know. Will try to finish it this coming weekend!

Glad to hear you working on your project. I wonder sometimes how long it takes for kits to be installed. Let me know when completed if we need to make any changes to the kit to make it more accurate. Good luck!

Another Saturday, and I am continuing with the recap of my SBE Console V.

I'm doing it slowly and carefully, as my old eyes aren't what they used to be AND I SERIOUSLY need to do something about better LIGHT! THAT would help.

But I am now at the 21 caps out of 48 (estimated on my list, count may go up a few) and I got a wild thought...

Why not power it up and make sure no confetti comes out???

I actually had very good confidence about this as I am changing caps one at a time, verifying the polarity ON the cap as it comes out AND checking it against the silkscreen on the PCB to be sure that they silkscreen is right (all are so far!). So I figured what the heck and powered it up.

No smoke, no fire, no pops.... just .... all the lights came on like they should. Didn't hear any RF noise (which did NOT surprise me .... the last few times I had it on...it was VERY VERY weak ..even when I was getting signal.

Then.... I got a wilder idea...

I fired up the Boonton 102 (500 MHz AM/FM RF Generator), set it on 27.205 with 1 KHz modulation a little under 100% and fed it in.

On Channel 20 with the volume knob ALL the way up.....I can hear it VERY CLEARLY..... but only at what I would call about 1/4 the loudness it SHOULD be. but, again, it was VERY clean and clear.

Considering that I am near the halfway point on the recap AND still have to do an alignment not ONLY does this result NOT BOTHER me....... I am encouraged. It means.... I haven't broken the thing yet!!!!!!!

Anyway, back to changing caps out.

Oh....another thing I learned.....almost ALL of the pots need cleaning which, again, comes as no surprise! They will get it when I get to that point.

Back to the fun!!!!!!

More interesting all the time. C604 is called out to be a 10uF in both schematics and both parts lists (both being the SBE Service Manual AND the SAMS photofact for the CB-39 Sidebander V which is the mobile version...and ALL SAMS ever did!).

Problem is, what I pulled out of the C604 spot was a 47uF.

Hmmmmmmmmm. I had an extra 10uF outside of the recap kit so I put that in to keep the kit as right as possible. If I regret it, I regret it. Seems to be in the area of where the processed speech hits the first mic amp inside the radio... used as a bypass.

Like I say, I'll leave it for now and, if I don't like it... it's only one blasted cap!!!!!!

Soldier on..........

Reactions: Handy Andy
Keep going! I'm enjoying the updates! I would love to see a short video after you are done with it! Progress is progress, halfway and it sounds like you are making good headway.

Thank you sir!
Dig around in here far enough and you will find me talking about this recap job for 5 years or more.... swearing to get to it SOON!!!!!!

Well.... I just decided it was time.

Keep going! I'm enjoying the updates! I would love to see a short video after you are done with it! Progress is progress, halfway and it sounds like you are making good headway.

Well....I quit yesterday evening to spend some time with my wife on her birthday (got to do that or a "working radio" isn't going to matter. I wouldn't be around to USE it!!!!)

Left it with 34 out of an estimated 48 done.

I came in this morning and thought about it.... powered it up and it still powers up well, no "arcs or sparks". Still not getting any hiss...or signal ....other than when I pipe it in from the RF generator. Then I get it...but it is very low. Very CLEAN....but very quiet. The remaining caps DO happen to be along the IF strip.... so maybe that makes sense...or maybe it just need an alignment.... WHO KNOWS! I'm just happy to be this far without having to call the fire department!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reactions: walterjn and TM86
It might be a cap problem in the receiver, but even if it isn't, changing out all the caps in an old radio isn't a bad idea. Especially if you are intending to make it your daily driver. Also, not a bad idea. SBE make some fine SSB radios.

I have never worked on the Console V (do have two console II in good working condition). But I've read that bad solder joints are a real problem area and they should all be checked/retouched. If an alignment doesn't bring it back around after all of that attention, then it is most likely a leaky diode or a transistor that has gone low gain. Hope you have the schematic . . .

Reactions: guitar_199
One of the things that the SAMS board drawing shows REALLY well.....
It is a double sided board....BUT the holes are NOT plated through. Instead there are "stakes" or "pins" through holes at specific locations on the board where those "stakes" are soldered in and create the connection from the top side to the bottom side. I plan to give these a visit and any necessary attention while I am in there on the recap!

It might be a cap problem in the receiver, but even if it isn't, changing out all the caps in an old radio isn't a bad idea. Especially if you are intending to make it your daily driver. Also, not a bad idea. SBE make some fine SSB radios.

I have never worked on the Console V (do have two console II in good working condition). But I've read that bad solder joints are a real problem area and they should all be checked/retouched. If an alignment doesn't bring it back around after all of that attention, then it is most likely a leaky diode or a transistor that has gone low gain. Hope you have the schematic . . .

Reactions: Robb
Whenever the topic of "recapping" comes up it typically follows that some may say "recaps are unneeded". In general I have no problem with that as, at some point, it is up to the owner to make that call.

To that end, I have always wondered..... "how bad do they get"???

At this point I have replaced 35 caps in my SBE Console V (ONE of them I have excluded from this test, as I pulled one of it's legs out when removing it. GOT to DESOLDER the RIGHT HOLE!!!!)

What I have done here, just for giggles, is to run each cap that I have already replaced (not quite finished, a handful more to go!) across my ESR tester. Just one of the little cheap-o Chinese ones.... no lab insstrument!
I did this to get an idea how bad things were across the radio as a whole.

The more experienced here will most likely already know statistics like this.... the less experienced here might enjoy seeing what I found and get more a "feel" of their own as to whether they should or should not commit to a recap. As always, your mileage may vary!

Please watch the units on the capacitance measured. Some were so bad that I believe the tester thought they were not electrolytics and so did not show an ESR value. A small few.....failed to even read as a working device. It is what it is!

(PS I hope the formatting turns out right!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marked Measured ESR
1 uF 66.15nF -
1 uF 1.293 uF 34
1 uF 268.2 nF 0.14K
1 uF 1.467 uF 0.14K
1 uF 529 pF -
1 uF 867.5 nF 0.14K
1 uF 1.356 uF 0.14K
1 uF 42.46 nF -
1 uF 617 pF -
1 uF 6.032 nF -
4.7 uF 6.437 uF 5.9
4.7 uF 6.328 uF 10
4.7 uF 6.382 uF 9.9
10 uF 217 pF -
10 uF 102 pF -
10 uF 114 pF -
10 uF 117 pF -
10 uF 4.187 uF 0.14K
10 uF 6.135 uF 0.14K
10 uF 77 pF -
22 uF 35.81 uF 20
47 uF 18 uF 0.14K
47 uF 583 pF -
47 uF 3.939 nF -
47 uF 50.15 uF 7.3
100 uF 175 uF 30
220 uF no reading
220 uF 310 uF 3.4
220 uF no reading
220 uF no reading
220 uF 311 uF 5
220 uF 292 uF 8.7
2200 uF 2736 uF 20
3300 uF 3726 uF 21

Reactions: Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?