• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Re capping My Cobra 2000gtl and have a question about cap alignment

jtrouter

Jul 7, 2015
Hello All.
Another project another question.
I am almost done with recapping my radio and i have been putting in the caps the way they came out
and also verifiying how they came out and putting them in the way they came out and by verifing the way the
board is marked. So i did the freq counter first and that not only went great it fixed the problem with the clock
resetting everytime i turned it on! So onto the radio and i am almost done but when i sucked out the solder the
cap fell out and i did not see the way it came out. So i go to put it in the way the board is marked but i noticed that
the positive lead is soldered into the ground of the circuit? This seems wrong to me, So i break out the schematic
and according to the schematic C25 capacitor the positive lead goes to the ground? So is this correct? it seems that
most of them that i checked the negitive side of the caps go to ground. SO i am asking you guys who know much more
than i do can the positive side of electronic caps go to ground? Thank you and i will stop until i hear back.

Yes, you will occasionally find the positive side going to ground. It's also not unusual to see incorrectly marked boards. It's great that you had a schematic to double check. On a particular board that has no other reference found, I sometimes print a photo of that board that I can make marks on. I also mark all the old caps with Sharpie before removal.

Thank you guys very much! Im am not good enough to understand the complex of systems electronics, but i can follow a schematic. As i said it just did not seem right to me so i really thank you guys for being here to help us less able. Now i can finish up with the end of my recap.

Reactions: DoctorAudio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.