• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Real CB Radios are side mic

Those were real trucks! I think the same when I see real trucks from the windshield of the cascadia. I at least still have the red under the hood with a 13 speed but it may be the last non-automatic truck I get to run.

In order this is what I've had the privilege of piloting, 96 379 cat 18sp, 03 t800 cat 13 sp, 07 t800 cat accert 13sp, 2011 isx 18 sp, for about 6 months a 20 t880 x15 13sp to the current 20 cascadia x15 13 sp. Started off well and went well for a while but now I'm getting close to the bucket bottom. Only freightshaker I drove before was a spare fld back in the 90's.

Like everything else, everything is getting sissified but what should we expect if we're honest about what we see when we look around....
my very first big truck was a 65 white 4000 180 cummins 5x3 on velvet ride. heater,spring ride bostrum,working heater n a good ol push button am radio that puiled in wbap the bill mac show at nite.pulled a 32' floor grain trailer.a load a nit to van buren arkansas over the senic boston mountains when it was 2 lane pig trail. my best friend drove the mate to it n we would get out of highschool n run down n back.get home to sleep 4 to 5 hours n back in school. we were under farmers exhemption. we had straight pipes on both trucks n we sure made noise

May your Road you Travel
Be Clear...
tumblr_n0kv2b1tys1qa32meo1_250.gif

Having swapped the transceiver-located P-E coax filter for the ICE 411cb BPF, the Galaxy Noise Filter has become effective while on SSB over what it was before.

Clarifier is a single adjustment (rough versus rough + fine) so the GNF is quite handy for bringing in only the stronger signals. AUDIBLY.

This mobile doesn’t have the juice to play in Skip-land (composite-body KW T680), but ears are pretty good given the pair of 7’ Skipshooters rising to almost 14’.

Luckily, it DOES have enough to get past some or most clowns on AM-19 several states away in regards speaking with opposing traffic about the car fire and two-mile back-up ahead of them.

Side mic idealized photon-spin.

My TR 696 FD-1, which I have always been told is the same board as the Galaxy 959 has a Hi Cut filter that has alway done a satisfactory job of reducing the hi pinches fine noise. I leave it on most of the time. The clarity of the received voice audio gets improved. I run it as a base now, It used to be mounted on a wooden box, old school style, on the floor of my Ford Explorer. The TR FD1, and Galaxy 959 has great AM audio. It’s my do to recommendation for anyone asking about getting into CB radio if their vehicle has the room to mount it properly. In the mobile, it liked the 636 mic or the stock TR mic- the one with the lead weight inside. It was my first modern radio purchased when I got back into CB radio.

Slightly off topic - I have side and front mic radios, all 4 pin, and would like to find a right angle adapter to use with my "real" radios. I know that I can put a right angle plug on my mic(s), but then they don't play as friendly on my "non-real" radios. I've looked at several sites and haven't found anything yet, suggestions ?

CB

upload_2022-1-3_19-34-53.png

Hmmm...I knew of (read this as was once available) a Mic Connector that allowed you to change the "right angle" from the Left-side default "Key way" or the Notch from being to your right with the Mic Plug facing you - to one the allows 4 different "holes" 90-degrees from each other in which to use the setscrew to affix for the direction you wanted the right angle adapter to adapt to.

It was from the Radio Shack days and we did not sell ANY of these for they were high priced - due to that feature of keyway changeover alone.

They were discontinued - that I know - for we didn't sell any radios that could use them - set for 4-pin and 5-pin like the Cobra types but we sold the 5-pin "half-moon" radios that only used the Right-handed keyway.

Now, if you were creative, you might be able to do this conversion yourself.

Slightly off topic - I have side and front mic radios, all 4 pin, and would like to find a right angle adapter to use with my "real" radios. I know that I can put a right angle plug on my mic(s), but then they don't play as friendly on my "non-real" radios. I've looked at several sites and haven't found anything yet, suggestions ?

CB
Before
20220107_155225.jpg
After
20220107_155353.jpg

Not terribly impressed with the protection at the microphone end, and it's a panel mount receptacle. No heat shrink on hand to fit over the bulkhead fitting, but I will get some and it will most likely work just fine.

After 1,800-hrs of use stopped by Rays CB of West Memphis, AR for a go-over and repair of a bent panel shaft.

Been able to run the DX-959b without Squelch engaged and kept RF Gain always maxed (outside of being parked close to external noise), now I can back off the WMR CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker as far as desired.

I’m going to assume this mobile radio rig is now closer to the experience had with a well-sorted base station. I can see why the DSP Speaker might not seem “necessary”.

1). The audio quality is quite high. DSP or not.

2). Running the rig without this speaker (using another) words spoken re-acquire a fuzz around them earlier removed.

— As use of a Bandpass Filter has made the work by the radio easier, so has a better tune (after new alignment) made life easier on the DSP Speaker. (My take on current performance).

1). Antenna to Mini Coax Feedpoint Choke, inwards to BPF, then amp (KL-203) and thence to Transceiver Coax Choke (then radio).

2). DSP Speaker with Audio & Power leads wrapped in toroid chokes.

A “lifetime” of setting mobile radios to lowest noise background doesn’t work any more.

My impression of performance changed is that I’m clearly hearing the mud duck radios at a greater distance than before.
And, if I try to set Audio Level & Tone Character to those, the better (dual final) radios blow up the speaker (glad it actually doesn’t).

(What’s the insertion loss? The terms used or problems of which are new to me? Not known. Yet).

** The control of audio tone (versus other controls) sure sets apart the side mic experience when the King of Side Mics has caught his breath and is readied for the big leagues.

I’ve said before and will again that this radio as used for the livelihood of truck driving is the best I’ve used. (Throughout the day and across the range of conditions it’s been able to meet the challenge of keeping RX distance at greatest potential).

Here’s best regards for those working at improving the mobile radio experience — to try experiments — as the water is fine, come on in.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.