• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic 458 no Tx

gogo_gadgit

Oct 31, 2009
Hello I have a realistic 458 (858chip) sitting on the bench that dosn't want to transmitt (when i key it up it shows about a half watt on ther meter both on am and ssb) I've tryed 2 diffrent finals,, which worked in one radio, but did work in the 458,, and then put them back in another where they worked again. and I already switched out (c179) and for the heck of it i recaped the power supply.. is there any other ideas, or other caps I should swap out that are knowen for going.

The radio seems to recive perfectly

Very carefully take off the metal clip, then the plastic cover to the relay, and then pull the relay out of its socket. Then take a piece of clean, white paper and spray some 'Puretronics' or equivalent solvent/cleaner on to the relay points and run the paper through both sides of the contact until it comes out completely clean. Repeat several times. No sandpaper or any abrasives, or it will just ruin a relay that is now nearly impossible to get - except for used.

Also spray some cleaner into the relay socket and blow it out. Wiggle the relay back into place. No guarantee that this will work; but it can be the problem sometimes and cleaning it is all one can do. Also touch up the solder joints for this socket on the board.

Seen this relay issue a couple of times with these radios.

If you find the problem elsewhere and fix it, then please post it back here and let us know.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.