• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic TRC-216 handheld

ForestRunner98

WDX-917 (917 Pasadena mobile)
Feb 9, 2020
Pasadena, California
I have a Realistic TRC-216 handheld cb that I bought about 8 months ago. Radio worked fine until the antenna broke. So I found some replacement antennas on eBay.

So now the radio does not transmit. It does but only a few feet to the other radio. It receives great. So I understand they are cheapie radios but I kinda like this one. Here are some pics of the radio.

8861C9A3-EB96-45CD-8536-468C1A4BF955.png

E822E6EF-738D-4C54-B54A-B5AAD8380C3B.png
7C6F0006-3CD4-4937-BD0E-F5DBCBAE997E.png
The broken antenna
1E84E3B8-4424-4F7A-A16A-8B0613FC34D8.jpeg

3C851D38-C982-466B-894A-87A14F388283.jpeg
0592D75F-9BCC-45E8-A9D5-0D3D7558AB32.jpeg

This is what it’s supposed to look like when transmitting:
02A8BE25-046E-4751-8C61-73985AD4A760.png

This is mine while transmitting:
B376B6AF-8A95-42CD-9C59-1E1088352712.jpeg

Does anybody have any suggestions? The radio isn’t worth too much but I don’t mind having I sent for repairs. Anybody know of a shop or person who would be willing to give it a shot?

Thanks!!!

Bill

So since it’s 115deg here in L.A. and most everything is closed I did some experimenting.

I connected an external antenna(Lil Wil) to the radio’s side port and slapped it on the trucks roof. Guess what? It transmits!!

53436BE4-CABF-41A2-8237-C32317AA2600.jpeg

BC082011-F5AA-4E69-85E9-0629C7FE55C7.jpeg

So I am thinking it’s not anything in the radio that’s messed up but the replacement antenna that seems to be the culprit. I am thinking these are scanner center loaded antennas. They receive fine but transmit is no bueno.

If anybody has any clue on where to get an authentic replacement antenna I would appreciate it. I will keep searching too. The EBay antenna is a no go. Hmm..maybe a parts only radio and steal the antenna?

The original RS center load walkie antennas have the reputation of being one of the best, but it’s true, very difficult to find used ones in good condition.

Another option: My RS walkie (TRC -207) originally had a screw in type rubber duck antenna that I disliked. I replaced that connection with a BNC female chassis bulkhead Jack. Thing is, most walkies with broken antennas can be modified by doing the same. After removing the antenna and any spacers, mount the BNC jack in the remaining hole. Depending on the radio, you may need to enlarge the hole or add washers. You will also need a short piece of mini coax like RG174 or RG178. On the BNC, shield goes to the solder lug and the center conductor goes to the center pin. On the radio, the center conductor goes to the point where the original antenna was connected, and the shield goes to any nearby chassis ground. I like the advantage of choosing between several antennas. While connecting to an outside antenna, most people find the BNC more desirable. I’ve used a BNC rubber duck and the Cobra HA-TA telescopic on my walkie. The rubber duck being the best for kids or short range coms. The SA2 flexible extended range antenna is another good BNC choice.

This is a list of RS talkies that use the same or similar center load antenna.
TRC-203
TRC-206
TRC-208A
TRC-214
TRC-217
TRC-219
TRC-221
TRC-224
Make note of the two different center loads and tips used on these two TRC-224 walkies. I believe yours is the all plastic looking version. Unless that's paint over metal I would probably choose the metal version for looks anyway.
TRC-224 antennas.jpg

Unless you can find a lower priced one at a garage sale, the best price I could find on E-bay is $25.
A TRC-206 and a TRC-214.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-St...3-Channel-CB-Transceiver-TRC-206/283980730857

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Realistic-TRC-214-Handheld-3-CH-Citizens-Band-Transceiver/373149152097

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!!!

I would not really want to mod this to make it function. Kinda loses the old school thing. But ya that is a way I didn’t even think about to make it transmit.

Thanks for the links for the “for sale parts only” and antennas. Yes mine is the all plastic black tip.

Still tinkering....I was able to make it transmit with the “replacement” antenna!! Now being this radio is from about 1986 or so does it need to warm up? Because I had it on with batteries and then with a /wall wart plug and it transmits after being “on” for about 10-15 mins. It looks great and doesn’t seem it had much use in 34 years but caps and stuff go bad.

FR98: Equipment/Accessory upgrades for older radios are just the norm.
Yes Original is nice, but gets to point when finding exact replacement parts are almost in the unobtanium range. Many times newer parts work better and have better options than the old original "stuff". I did the same to old Midland sets here...(BNC plug change out) more antenna options and equal or better preformance was achieved. Not to mention easier handling. Those long telescoping antennas were always in some state of repair, and the wrong "bump" and the case gets cracked/broken etc.:mad:
My 2 cents
All the Best
Gary

FR98: Equipment/Accessory upgrades for older radios are just the norm.
Yes Original is nice, but gets to point when finding exact replacement parts are almost in the unobtanium range. Many times newer parts work better and have better options than the old original "stuff". I did the same to old Midland sets here...(BNC plug change out) more antenna options and equal or better preformance was achieved. Not to mention easier handling. Those long telescoping antennas were always in some state of repair, and the wrong "bump" and the case gets cracked/broken etc.:mad:
My 2 cents
All the Best
Gary

You are totally right! These antennas are super long and flimsy. One bad bump and it’s a goner. I am just weird and my OCD compels me sometimes to keep it the same. But I did have my eyes opened to new possibilities!!

Decisions decisions....let see if this new warm up theory is good. As in my other thread I will update.

Reactions: Rwb
I bought one in the mid-80s when they came out. About 10 years ago, a guy had two going on E-bay together with one being sold as "for parts only". I got them dirt cheap. The "bad" one worked just fine after a little electrical tuner cleaner.

I've used them in the car (as a mobile), in the house (as a base) and even out on the boat with the stock antenna. Thirty-plus years old and still performing. What else is there to say?

I talked to Michigan from North Florida once while we were Deer Hunting.I had the Walkie Talkie trying to get a hold of my brother in law so I could tell him which way the Dogs were trailing the Deer.He could not hear me over all of the Skip but a fellow in Michigan could hear both of us so he relayed for us until the conditions changed.It was Very Cool & I will never forget it.Same kind of antenna but I don't remember the model number but it was a Realistic CB.I have several models in my collection now & some are still in the original boxes waiting to be used.

SIX-SHOOTER

https://www.hamestate.com/product/midland-mini-portable-cb-radio-75-820/

Item in good Condition

Original Box

No Aerial included

• Channels: 40-channel
  • Power: 4 watts
  • Controls: memory button
  • Two-Way Radio Type: CB radio
  • Two-Way Radio Form Factor: portable
  • FCC Licensing Requirements: not required
  • Two-Way Radio Display Information: Signal strength indicator, lock indicator, RX, scan indicator, memory indicator, channel indicator , TX, low power transmission indicator, dual watch indicator, weather radio indicator, battery level indicator

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated