• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

REALISTIC TRC-421A

624ace

Jun 20, 2012
HEY I HAVE A REALISTIC TRC-421A AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE I SHOULD PUT IN MY SWING KIT. I AM NEW TO THE CB RADIO HOBBY. THANKS IN ADVANCE 624ACE

In the garbage?
lol!

But seriously folks, I gotta million of 'em!

OK, OK; no more shtick . . .

If you can take the cover off of the radio and figure out what chassis/board it is (since RS doesn't make their own radios but re-brands them) that would help a lot. If it is a Uniden board, shouldn't be too much problem to find it.

WELL I GOT THE RADIO SETTING HERE ON THE SHELF IN FRONT OF ME I WILL TAKE THE COVER OFF AND LET YOU KNOW. IF IT IS A UNDEN BRAND DO YOU KNOW WHERE AND WHAT PARTS TO TAKE OUT TO PUT MY SWING KIT IN? I WOULD LIKE TO GET STARTED IN MODDING RADIOS. SO THANKS MUCH ROB...

First of all - you already have a swing kit for this radio? No instructions? Is that kit made specifically for that radio? If not; it will not work for it. Swing kit part values are different from radio to radio. Sorry; that is the way the mop - flops.

http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/vol_09/graphics/secret_cb_vol_09_pg35_36.pdf

The ONLY mod I found for this radio (see above link) disables the AM Limiter. Which means that your AMC control ('modulation') will no longer work - it will be wide-open. This will also stress the output transistors to fail prematurely. Do you want that to happen? Cannot use a power mic with the radio - either. And if you should run an amp with it - it will sound like real crap! No joke. Better understand this now before you make such a leap. Do this mod at your own risk!

Better off with a Cobra 21, 25, 29 gtl/ltd if you must have a swing kit.

Last edited:
ok rob thanks for the input i dont have any other radio right now so i guess ill just stick to doing nothing right now. do you know anything else that i could might do to get a lil power outta it???

Anyone know where to get the schematic for that radio ?
TRC-421A is not on the Radio Shack website
Would be much appreciated.

Fuzzy

Anyone know where to get the schematic for that radio ?
TRC-421A is not on the Radio Shack website
Would be much appreciated.

Fuzzy

Try looking for a Sams Photofact publication for it on Ebay. That's where I've been getting schematics for my new old stock radio's I've been buying. You'll have to Google the Sams Photofact master list to see if a volume was ever produced for the 421A to start with. I too have a NIB/NOS TRC-421A I just bought off of Ebay for $21 . DTB Radio might could do something with that part of the radio. Give him a try. dtbradio@pa.net (717) 258-8397 http://www.dtbradio.com/cb.html

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
First of all - you already have a swing kit for this radio? No instructions? Is that kit made specifically for that radio? If not; it will not work for it. Swing kit part values are different from radio to radio. Sorry; that is the way the mop - flops.

http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/vol_09/graphics/secret_cb_vol_09_pg35_36.pdf

The ONLY mod I found for this radio (see above link) disables the AM Limiter. Which means that your AMC control ('modulation') will no longer work - it will be wide-open. This will also stress the output transistors to fail prematurely. Do you want that to happen? Cannot use a power mic with the radio - either. And if you should run an amp with it - it will sound like real crap! No joke. Better understand this now before you make such a leap. Do this mod at your own risk!

Better off with a Cobra 21, 25, 29 gtl/ltd if you must have a swing kit.

My brother has a Cobra 89GTL he Acquired with the limiter excised. It's real loud and sounds like crap. The only redeeming thing about it is that when he uses his Road Devil mic with the mic volume turned wayyyy down it sounds desent

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated