• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic TRC 435

It should say it right on the board - silkscreen component side...

Did you click on the link - the Service Manual for it is on that link "Go Here..." in my last post...

I think the board is a PC-210AA

Thanks Andy

I missed the link you posted. It was the end of the day and my brain had shut down. I'm not at all technical, I don't plan to work on my own stuff. I'll check the board. I thought it might be an 858. What attracts me to the radio, besides the price, was the small size and the tone adjustment. I'll probably use it as a back up instead of the Uniden 520 I have now. I assumed since it's made in the Philippines, it would be a good little radio.

It uses an SM5124 PLL - just like an older Uniden radio - pretty standard. There used to be EXPO-type of kits for them but with Radio Shack, you never know if it would work of not.

I own it's other Brother - TRC-474 - made to "Compete" with some of Uniden and Cobra radios during that era. the '474 came out in 1987 - using nearly the same faceplate as yours.

The 474 uses the 9106BP PLL - again, straightforward, nothing new - just more "Condensed"
TRC-474.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photos but I'm only showing representation.

More details upon request...

I had that radio. Bought it used from Craigslist ad. Had some fun with it. I got into it and turned up the power to high and blew out the final. Stupid me. Wish I still had it. It was a nice radio. If I do find one again I won't be messing with the output.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The only mod I think is to clip a diode. I went from a Pace 23 Channel that my grandfather had given me as a kid but I never used to a RadioShack TRC-435 and about a year latter to a RCI-2950. This was 1990-ish.

With the diode or resistor clipped it would swing to 14 watts clean. Modulation was like 95% or 98%. That little radio got compliments on how it sounded when I used it. Fast forward to 2000's Dad was driving Class A over the road needed a radio after his died suddenly and I gave him that. It lasted 10 years of daily use in a big rig and he too always got compliments and asked what radio he was using!

Not a great radio but it got the job done if all you wanted was 40 am channels and just a little more than 4 watts.

Clean is mean. For a radio that was designed to be disposable and made as cheaply as possible it is amazing just how well it lasted. I got it back from my Dad it is in a junk pile since almost nothing short of the final is worth salvaging.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I am not kidding you this little radio got crazy compliments on air. It was because it was not over modulated. It is amazing how good you can sound if you just dont over modulate.

You could seriously peak this little radio with a golden screw driver, a pair of diagonal cutters and a light bulb or a Dosey.

I got a another one NOS just by accident and for old times sake I pulled the trigger! Perfect little radio for your electric bike. I new a kid that had a bike and had a tiny battery and wheel powered charger and a fire stick on the bike. He was a slow kid but he was always on his radio! I knew another kid in H.S. that had a fire stick on the rain gutter of his single wide trailer and a wall wart power supply that talked localy just fine in Hinesville Ga. with this setup.

It is a terrible radio but brings back happy memories. Oh and it is a proper CB since it had a chrome bezel and chrome knobs!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.