• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

realistic trc 451

I really like that TRC-451 (1981 and Radio Shacks last AM/SSB of that caliber and very close to the Cobra 146 GTL) Nomad is right , a slight pain in the butt to add the Expo N (if I recall that kit gives uppers and lowers?) There's also the Galaxy N Kit (Blue Box) that will give only uppers. Damn it !! The TRC-450 a year or two before that looked the same but had the 8719 PLL which was a much easier to modifiy PLL. The 451 is a very decent radio from my experiance , Tunes up very nicely at 20 watts AM and SSB at 100% modualtion, very good ANL/NB on the radio and I found with clairifier slightly open ,the radio seemed to be very solid on SSB.Only slight bummer about this radio is they didn't add a Mic Gain control )-: but still a decent radio all the same.
Realistic-TRC-451-closeup.jpg

trc451

the radio is nice but all the locals use extra channels on ssb so i need to mod it i was hoping there would be a way to do it without the kit because i heard that the kit is expensive. later- chong

from what I understand ,they don't make the expo kits anymore (but some folks still have them at cost) and IM not sure about the galaxy kits ? The pll that is in that radio is basically useless other then for the regular 40 channels , you can change the pll to another but even then the clarifier needs to be modded for at least a 5 KHz slide to get the 5s with pll change, as I said , the radio is very close to the 146 Cobra ,and simlar to the PC-122s , it's pretty much the same deal with those radios as well when it comes to extra channels added, either a pll change or kits added. That's a nice radio Chong as I said before , it's not the best , but it is a good AM/SSB radio. It's possible that I might be able to get you a Galaxy N Kit for your radio for about 20.00 shipped , but I'll tell you right now , you will need someone that knows there stuff when it comes to the install of this board and to have all the right tools to do so.

Switchkit nailed it, will need an Expo kit or Galaxy "N" kit to make it work for extra channels. Same with the PLL swap. However, I LOVE those radios! IMO, the best board for mobile usage. Tough to beat. I have a 146GTL and a President P300 that use that exact board. Hope you hang onto it.

~Cheers~

Heres the N kit i found. It used 2 chips for the uppers and lowers.

Last edited:
EXPO N kits are getting hard to find which is why I never sold mine. I put one in a Uniden PC122 I yhave here and actually just got a Uniden pro 810 that will take an N kit so I may give that a try when bored.

My first SSB mobile was a TRC-451 I had a variable power knob on the side by the mic socket and added a mic gain on the dimmer switch it was a great reliable radio with great audio and outstanding receive. I know who has it and he does not use it anymore and was going to check on buying it back.

However I do know he had told me somewhere along the line he lost the aluminum sticker panel for the face plate which had the knob labels on it but I can do something different with that so its no big deal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.