• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Received the New TYT TH-UV3R 2m/440 HT

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Today I received the new TYT TH-UV3R 2m/440 2.5 watt micro HT with number keypad. My first impression is that this is a superior radio to the Baofeng UV-3r in many ways.

Full review with pics coming shortly...

Reactions: 1 person

Copy%20of%20TH-UV3Rcx.jpg

Looks neat.
Is it a re-packaged Baofeng UV-5R?
We will have to wait and see - eh?

Li-ion Battery Chargeable Directly via USB Cable or via Battery Holder

Niiice!

It is not a repackaged Baofeng UV-5R. The firmware is completely different and much more refined than any of the Baofeng radios. The picture shown above is the same pic that they used for marketing, however the actual screen looks a bit different.

Dunno if I like these factors:

*3.7V 1300mah Li-ion Battery
*2.5 Watts High Power -- 0.8 Watts Low Power

You couldn't really use it on the .8 watt output unless you are at a picnic-lol. You would have to use the 2.5 watt output. But at this low voltage, that battery shouldn't last that long at full output (yes; that's a guess). That battery just looks very small.

Can't wait to see the review on this radio. Are you going to compare it to the other HT's in ts class (Baofeng, Feidaxin, Puxing, Wouxun, Waccom, etc)? Or - compare it to the other radios in its own price range?

Last edited:
You couldn't really use it on the .8 watt output unless you are at a picnic-lol. You would have to use the 2.5 watt output. But at this low voltage, that battery shouldn't last that long at full output (yes; that's a guess). That battery just looks very small.

FRS/GMRS radios put out less power than that and they sell very well.

Can't wait to see the review on this radio. Are you going to compare it to the other <acronym title="handitalkie">HT</acronym>'s in <acronym title="Kenwood">ts</acronym> class (Baofeng, Feidaxin, Puxing, Wouxun, Waccom, etc)? Or - compare it to the other radios in its own price range?

A little of both.

Today I received the new TYT TH-UV3R 2m/440 2.5 watt micro HT with number keypad. My first impression is that this is a superior radio to the Baofeng UV-3r in many ways.

Full review with pics coming shortly...

Awesome, on that review can you let us know if it's doing the narrow band 2.5kHz tuning steps?, the wouxon website says it will be added to later model.

I don't like the look of it, looks like an off the shelf walkie-talkie, not a HT. How does it compare to a UV5R? Or a UV3R even?

I actually like this better than some of the other Chinese units. I know I promised a full review a few days ago, but a few other radio related projects (Dayton and something else) came up that I had to jump on. I'll get this one posted soon!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.