• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receiver alignment measuring audio watts with what???

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Hey Gang,
I know that I have a few project questions posted on here but as I am working through some alignments I am curious what you use when aligning to a desired audio watts. As an example, when aligning a Uniden 858 board like in the President Washington and Robyn SB520 the requirement in the receiver alignment is to set your RF Gain and AM balance to .5 watts audio. What method and or piece of test equipment do you use to set to those parameters?

I have aligned a lot of receivers in my time but never heard of what you are talking about. Audio power from the AF section has nothing to do with aligning a receiver.

In this case CK, the service manual does call out the spec for audio level.

To answer the question, you use a volt meter set to AC with a dummy load or speaker, IIRC.

OK Never mind. Brain fart on this end. I misunderstood and thought he was talking about setting power out from the AF section. o_O OK yes typical inject RF at a certain level and certain % modulation and align receiver for X power out from the speaker. Usually it states to align for a certain amount of voltage across the speaker leads which of course is a way of measuring power output. If the speaker impedance is 8 ohms you will achieve 0.5 watts output if there is 2 volts across the speaker terminals. The formula is voltage equals the square root of power times impedance. the procedure must indicate the position that the RF and AF gain control knobs must be preset too.

May not be exact wording but found something similar...

You do have to take into consideration the quality of the speakers' volume...

Attachments

• TRC419Receiver.jpg
    TRC419Receiver.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
My B&K consoles has audio input with a resistive load and a watt meter for the audio. I don't use it for that purpose. I watch the scope for the highest peaks.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Typically, if a receive tuneup requires setting an audio output level, a steady tone is inputted, so the average and peak audio output will be the same.

That's what the B&K consoles do. A modulated signal single tone for AM, Double for SSB alignments.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.