• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recent ANTENNA experience and question

Slowpoke

Jan 29, 2022
Well, some real life personal trial info.
I ran from GA, to AZ. The area I mounted the ProComm Quad Wound, 4.5' tunable tip fiberglass antenna, above the passenger window, on my t680, heading east to west, recieved well, and I did reach out and chat with stations 500-2000 miles away. They said I was coming in loud and clear, top notch, etc. That's with my RCI 69ffb4, at about 450 watts. This was on both AM ch 28, 17, and one or two others, (not 6 or 11, good grief!) and lsb 38. Skip was hot this past week. Yesterday, I finally changed my old , stock cophase antenna coax with RG59... added a few more ground straps, same Wilson 2ks, which my 29 was still hooked to. I swapped out the two radios to the other antenna, .28 to single pro comm, RCI to cophased 2ks. The receive again, was dramatically better with the ciphased. The SWRs however on both antenna are not great. Safe, but still 1.5 ish range. Under 2 anyway. I gave a shout out on AM 28, from Phoenix, and reached out to a station in Ottawa Ont Ca., and wad told I was coming in real good, but I needed to crank the RF and squelch to hear him just ok. Still have some tweaking to do. I am considering two 5 or 6 foot ProComm QW, Skip Shooters, or Pred 10k, to replace the W2ks. I'll leave the single PCQW for my 29. Any thoughts as to which antenna may receive and transmit most efficiently? Yes, I have read through threads, looked up Q factor, wave lengths, position, etc, but just want input from others who tried various antenna, and had their own experience with what worked/sounded best. I am set on cophased, as they do have 2-3 times better audio in my experience than a single. If the W2ks are as good as any of the others, then fine, I'll keep them. Thanks.

Not to disuade you from any improvements, tinkering is one of the fun parts of this RF stuff, but if you have your SWR at or near 1.5:1 you're doing just fine. Neither you or stations receiving you can possibly notice the difference in your signal even if you reach the magical, mystical 1:1. The difference in radiated power is a tiny fraction of your 450w. Sounds like your setup is doing quite well.

73 and keep the shiny side up

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.