1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a pwr spply

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by doober, Feb 9, 2019.

1. doober

doober New Member

Looking for suggestions for a decent power supply to run my stryker 955 and tx star 500 in a home base station set-up.

TIA

2. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

doober likes this.
  3. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

If you are on a budget the megawatts are great, but the fans on the 50amp are pretty loud. I would get at least a 50 amp supply, as a 30 would be running full tilt and still be underpowered unless you go real easy.

357magnum, doober and Riverman71 like this.
  4. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

Yep. My bad. I forgot the TS 500 pulled that many amps.

Eldorado828 likes this.
  5. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 From the high plains of Texas

Man that's a lot of radio for that 500. I would worry about magic smoke running those 2 together.

357magnum and doober like this.
  6. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

I agree, the 955 is a very hot radio for that amp. Hope you can dial that radio down enough. The radio needs probably 10-15 amp supply and the 500 can draw 45-55 amps plus you will want some head room. I would look for a nice 70 amp power supply.

357magnum, doober and Eldorado828 like this.
  7. doober

doober New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I had the shop tune them together so that the 955 at its lowest power wouldn't kill the transistors on the amp. (hopefully!!) The 955 is stock other than the 11m conversion and tune. There wasn't a whole lot of info that came with the amp the spec sheet says the input is 13.6v and <6amps....which did seem kind of low on the amperage requirements. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

8. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

I will never understand the practice of buying a high output export radio if you are going to run an amp.

9C1Driver likes this.
  9. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

I run my 955 as a base no amp needed...plenty (y)of contacts

Eldorado828 and fogdog like this.
  10. fogdog

fogdog Well-Known Member

I totally agree with undertaker. The 955 doesn't really need an external amp. I use a megawatt 36 amp, and it works well for the past 3 years. It can be a tad loud with fan noise though. If were being honest.

Eldorado828 and undertaker like this.
  11. 743SEPA

743SEPA New Member

I ran my 955 with Jetstream 50 amp,the dual meters are nice. When I ran an amp the 955 went on a Samlex 23 amp and the amp went on the Jetstream. Running all barefoot for now though.

Eldorado828 likes this.
  12. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

That's because new out of the box a Texas Star is a CW transmitter (wink wink) and that's all it does draw. It will also not function as an amplifier like that because it is used to practice CW keying. After a conversion it becomes an amplifier.

As far as your radio goes, since you have variable power control on the front of the radio there really is nothing much to "match up" to an amplifier. You can do that yourself, turn the carrier (RF Power) all the way down.

In your case though they probably had to de-tune the radio some so it would not burn your amp up. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying a high powered radio but that's the way it goes I guess.

13. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

I never understood that either.
    If a high powered radio has to be detuned to run an amp, then what's the point? Why not get an amp that matches the radio?

14. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

The 955 with a conservative tune running balls out into a sweet 16 would be a nice combo..

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  15. drgrant

drgrant Member

IMO a 955HP isn't really high output... high output is over 100W in my book...