• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommend a pwr spply

doober

Dec 6, 2018
Looking for suggestions for a decent power supply to run my stryker 955 and tx star 500 in a home base station set-up.

TIA

If you are on a budget the megawatts are great, but the fans on the 50amp are pretty loud. I would get at least a 50 amp supply, as a 30 would be running full tilt and still be underpowered unless you go real easy.

Yep. My bad. I forgot the TS 500 pulled that many amps.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I agree, the 955 is a very hot radio for that amp. Hope you can dial that radio down enough. The radio needs probably 10-15 amp supply and the 500 can draw 45-55 amps plus you will want some head room. I would look for a nice 70 amp power supply.

Thanks for the input guys. I had the shop tune them together so that the 955 at its lowest power wouldn't kill the transistors on the amp. (hopefully!!) The 955 is stock other than the 11m conversion and tune. There wasn't a whole lot of info that came with the amp the spec sheet says the input is 13.6v and <6amps....which did seem kind of low on the amperage requirements. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I ran my 955 with Jetstream 50 amp,the dual meters are nice. When I ran an amp the 955 went on a Samlex 23 amp and the amp went on the Jetstream. Running all barefoot for now though.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Thanks for the input guys. I had the shop tune them together so that the 955 at its lowest power wouldn't kill the transistors on the amp. (hopefully!!) The 955 is stock other than the 11m conversion and tune. There wasn't a whole lot of info that came with the amp the spec sheet says the input is 13.6v and <6amps....which did seem kind of low on the amperage requirements. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

That's because new out of the box a Texas Star is a CW transmitter (wink wink) and that's all it does draw. It will also not function as an amplifier like that because it is used to practice CW keying. After a conversion it becomes an amplifier.

As far as your radio goes, since you have variable power control on the front of the radio there really is nothing much to "match up" to an amplifier. You can do that yourself, turn the carrier (RF Power) all the way down.

In your case though they probably had to de-tune the radio some so it would not burn your amp up. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying a high powered radio but that's the way it goes I guess.

I never understood that either.
If a high powered radio has to be detuned to run an amp, then what's the point? Why not get an amp that matches the radio?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated