• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommended mobile radio for new technician

Let us know what you decide on.
I have been a tech for 6 years and haven't gotten a radio yet.
But I'm looking into getting one now to use as a base. This thread has been
very helpful so far.

I agree with eagle1911, the Wuxon is a terrific starter HT (I always called them a Handheld Transceiver). For about a hundred bucks, then you'd have some cash left over for a good start on a decent mobile/base rig.

I'm not going to recommend any specific 'starter' radio. It really depends on what you can afford and what you expect to do with it. In general, I also wouldn't recommend an HT as that 'starter' radio. Why? Cuz they are very limiting, and in some cases, very confusing about programming. (The Wouxun HT is one of those 'confusing' ones, I would definitely recommend the computer programming cable and program. And I like mine.)
Here are a few suggestions though. Whatever you select, it should have a 'PL' tone capability! That used to be an 'option', but it's a requirement now that there are so may repeaters. I would also recommend a 'dual' band VHF/UHF radio. UHF repeaters are much more common than they used to be, and if there are none in your area, who says you won't go where there may be a few around? With a few qualifications (those PL tones for instance) the used market is one to take a look at. 'New' is nice, but not always the 'best' deal around.
Nothing here that already hasn't been said, probably, and certainly not 'revelations', just some things that you should consider. You don't have to get it all right now, and I know of very few people who only have/had one radio. The absolute best thing I can think of is to get your hands on something before you buy it. Try it out, see how you think it might 'do' you. That's also the hardest thing to do! Oh well...
- 'Doc

Doc thanx for the heads up on the PL tone thing.

One thing I have wondered, do most radios these days come with a scan feature to scan the airwaves for activity?

Also I recently picked up a Tram 1180 dual mobile antenna, hopefully that's a good antenna.

Pretty much every single amateur radio made in the last 20 years includes some sort of scan function.

That antenna seems quite decent.. reviews I've seen are good as well as the price.

If I may ask, does anyone know off hand what radios have the PL tone to them? And what would you use it for?

Also I found a small Yaesu radio that's a dual band, the Yaesu FT-90R 144/440 MHz. Anyone have any testimonials on it?

If I may ask, does anyone know off hand what radios have the PL tone to them? And what would you use it for?

Also I found a small Yaesu radio that's a dual band, the Yaesu FT-90R 144/440 MHz. Anyone have any testimonials on it?

I had one. I kind've wish I still had it. It was a great little radio for me. I never had any problems with mine and it did everything I asked it to do. The chassis can get pretty hot, so try to keep it in an area that has some ventilation. The face is so small, you can fit it just about anywhere.

Let us know what you decide on.
I have been a tech for 6 years and haven't gotten a radio yet.
But I'm looking into getting one now to use as a base. This thread has been
very helpful so far.

Mac, sorry it took me this long to get back to you, I actually forgot about this thread until now.

Anyways I ended up getting a Yaesu FT 7900 R off eBay. It's been good so far. I've been making quite a few contacts with it and finding out all the local repeaters, then putting them into the radio.

This radio covers 144 and 440 MHz. One of the things I like is you can detach the face from the main body and install it on your dash, then mount the main body in the trunk of your car. it makes great for todays smaller cars with no space to mount much of a radio.

Right now I am using this radio for a base on a Ringo Ranger 2 antenna. I use the car's cigg lighter to keep her powered for garage rag chewing.

They just did put up a 220 repeater in my area so now I'm looking for a mobile that does 144/220/440...if one exists.

Mac, sorry it took me this long to get back to you, I actually forgot about this thread until now.

Anyways I ended up getting a Yaesu FT 7900 R off eBay. It's been good so far. I've been making quite a few contacts with it and finding out all the local repeaters, then putting them into the radio.

This radio covers 144 and 440 MHz. One of the things I like is you can detach the face from the main body and install it on your dash, then mount the main body in the trunk of your car. it makes great for todays smaller cars with no space to mount much of a radio.

Right now I am using this radio for a base on a Ringo Ranger 2 antenna. I use the car's cigg lighter to keep her powered for garage rag chewing.

They just did put up a 220 repeater in my area so now I'm looking for a mobile that does 144/220/440...if one exists.

Good choice !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.