• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommended uF for AL1200 capacitor replacement

It really depends on what it does in the circuit. 90% of the time going up in uF a small amount is not a problem, but unless it will give you a known improvement in an area, I'd up the voltage rating and keep the same uF.

Reactions: linearone

I installed this upgrade filter board in my AL1500 two years ago.

Designed and manufactured by the original designer of the Ameritron amplifiers.

Ameritron Upgrade Boards​

Also see FC-220 3600 Volt for other applications
Also see Step Start (Soft Start)
Part Number F33-4500
This board is a superior direct drop replacement for the 50-01143-1 Ameritron AL-1200, AL-1500, and AL-82 filter capacitor board. The continuous voltage rating of the board is 4500 Vdc!
Before you buy a different cheaper board consider:
1.) This board exceeds accepted leakage path lengths of 0.1 inch per 1,000 volts for voltage gradients across any point on the board, including trace to trace voltages and voltages to mounting holes. Many boards do not do this, and are subject to long term failure from carbon tracking.
2.) The resistors in this board are high reliability. They are operated safely below voltage breakdown.
The ten 450Vdc capacitors in this board are special long life high current capacitors. The capacitors are rated at 5000 hours @ 105c with 1.98 ampere ripple current. The bleeders are high reliability metal film 5 watt resistors.
This fully tested board is superior to any other board on the market. This board was designed by W8JI, the original AL-1200, AL-82, AL-1500 series amplifier designer the way this board would have been made without cost restraints.
This drop in AL1200 AL82 AL1500 board has exceptionally long arc paths. The circuit board is a high quality USA manufactured board solder mask coated board. The ten high temperature long life rated electrolytics alone cost over $150 wholesale at last check!
This board is universal. It will never go obsolete, any standard size capacitor with either screw terminals or solder tabs will fit.
Specifications:
33 uF at 4500 Vdc
4 megohm metering
350 amp surge clamped rail
7.5 inches long, 3.750 inches deep, 3.75 inches of vertical space.
$269 USA mainland shipping included. PayPal purchase add 8%

Installation-300x162.jpg

Installation wiring Ameritron AL1200, AL1500, AL82 series amplifiers
CTR-

AL1200 AL82 AL1500 filter capacitor board

CTR-01143-1 filter capacitor

Filter bank Ameritron AL-1200 bottom

Higher capacitance version:
Specifications:
33 uF at 4500 Vdc
4 megohm metering
$269 USA mainland shipping included. Specify AL1200/1500/AL82 or 33uF capacitance.
Order now

AL-1200 AL-1500 AL-82 filter capacitor board

AL1200 AL1500 AL82 Ameritron filter capacitor board

Specifications:
54 uF at 4500 Vdc
4 megohm metering
$289 USA plus shipping Specify 54uF capacitance!
Order now

Reactions: 357
Using filter caps with a higher capacitance rating sounds like a good idea. Higher voltage rating is always a good idea, but if you boost the storage capacity of the capacitor bank, you can create surge currents higher than the design is meant to tolerate.

The biggest risk is the initial turn-on surge. This model amplifier has a built-in soft start, so it should not be an issue. Boosting this rating in a home-brew box might come back to haunt you. Mostly you'll find a soft-start circuit to limit that turn-on surge only in factory-built stuff.

The board shown above is the real McCoy. Tom knows his stuff. It should serve you well for a long time.

I installed this upgrade filter board in my AL1500 two years ago.

Designed and manufactured by the original designer of the Ameritron amplifiers.

Ameritron Upgrade Boards​

Also see FC-220 3600 Volt for other applications
Also see Step Start (Soft Start)
Part Number F33-4500
This board is a superior direct drop replacement for the 50-01143-1 Ameritron AL-1200, AL-1500, and AL-82 filter capacitor board. The continuous voltage rating of the board is 4500 Vdc!
Before you buy a different cheaper board consider:
1.) This board exceeds accepted leakage path lengths of 0.1 inch per 1,000 volts for voltage gradients across any point on the board, including trace to trace voltages and voltages to mounting holes. Many boards do not do this, and are subject to long term failure from carbon tracking.
2.) The resistors in this board are high reliability. They are operated safely below voltage breakdown.
The ten 450Vdc capacitors in this board are special long life high current capacitors. The capacitors are rated at 5000 hours @ 105c with 1.98 ampere ripple current. The bleeders are high reliability metal film 5 watt resistors.
This fully tested board is superior to any other board on the market. This board was designed by W8JI, the original AL-1200, AL-82, AL-1500 series amplifier designer the way this board would have been made without cost restraints.
This drop in AL1200 AL82 AL1500 board has exceptionally long arc paths. The circuit board is a high quality USA manufactured board solder mask coated board. The ten high temperature long life rated electrolytics alone cost over $150 wholesale at last check!
This board is universal. It will never go obsolete, any standard size capacitor with either screw terminals or solder tabs will fit.
Specifications:
33 uF at 4500 Vdc
4 megohm metering
$269 USA mainland shipping included. PayPal purchase add 8%

Installation-300x162.jpg

Installation wiring Ameritron AL1200, AL1500, AL82 series amplifiers
CTR-

AL1200 AL82 AL1500 filter capacitor board

CTR-01143-1 filter capacitor

Filter bank Ameritron AL-1200 bottom

Higher capacitance version:
Specifications:
33 uF at 4500 Vdc
4 megohm metering
$269 USA mainland shipping included. Specify AL1200/1500/AL82 or 33uF capacitance.
Order now

AL-1200 AL-1500 AL-82 filter capacitor board

AL1200 AL1500 AL82 Ameritron filter capacitor board

Specifications:
54 uF at 4500 Vdc
4 megohm metering
$289 USA plus shipping Specify 54uF capacitance!
Order now
Woof. That's pricey. I'd rather make it out of perf board

The board shown above uses what are called "snap-in" style capacitors. It has two angled, fairly rigid pins. If the holes in the pc board are sized and spaced correctly, they will literally snap into place, holding itself there until you solder the pins.

This package is significantly more economical than the "computer grade" package with the two threaded bushings a two machine screws.

If you plan to go perf board, you'll save money using snap ins.

They generally have just as low internal resistance as the expensive types.

Date codes on the original filter caps would reveal a lot.

20 years is only a little too soon to see failures. Mileage will be the determining factor. 30 years is well into the "awkward age" when you should expect failure.

The reason I asked about the age of the amplifier, was not because I was trying to poke fun at ameritron. I was really just curious, because in general i think the quality of electrolytics has seriously gone downhill. Especially in the last 10 years. I've had brand new caps from real manufacturers, not Chinese. No name, fail almost immediately.

I have a question, how old is the amplifier? I'm just surprised anybody has one of these that requires filter cap replacement already.
its 20 years.
there wont be any caps in 10 years so I figure I better do it now.
Plus the capacitor bank is only good for 3600v, and thats what it gets, 3600v, no headroom.
Also just peace of mind

Last edited:
Reactions: linearone

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.