• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Record and Play back AKA Watergate.

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
what is the best way to record and play back or watergate someone on the Radio.Not record on your Iphone and play back thru the mic with the add3ed sound of the dog barking wife calling the kids,door Bell ring TV in the back round you get the point. Direct record to iphone or computer and play back thru the radio not the Mic element. Also eliminate any static buzz or RF etc. thanks for you much needed input.

I use my iPhone to record water gates . If you have an iPhone all you need to do is get a headphone to XLR mic cable and a 3.5 mm to XLR cable. It works perfect...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    808.7 KB · Views: 9
Some radios (like the Cobra 1000 and 2000GTL have a line output jack on the rear panel. This is the best for recording because both the received transmission and your transmission have the same "on-the-air" sound. Here's the schematic for the line out circuit used on the 1000/2000 models

- 399lineout.png

Use a 1/8 male to 1/8 male audio cable from the external speaker of the radio to the mic in on your computer.
I use audacity for my recording needs.

That will work if your sound card allows you to switch that microphone level input to a line level input or if you have some attentuation inline. If it doesn't then you are about 50-70 dB too high of a level going into it and you risk blowing the input of the sound card.The three standard audio level outputs are microphone level typically about -50 dB, line level output typically around zero dB to -15 dB, and speaker level which is measured in watts or milliwatts. As a reference one milliwatt is zero dB so you can see the potential for a gross mismatch in levels. Having worked in audio I would not really suggest this unless you know something about levels and how to match grossly mismatched levels. The ability to simply plug and play with this is highly dependant on the abilities of your soundcard.

That will work if your sound card allows you to switch that microphone level input to a line level input or if you have some attentuation inline. If it doesn't then you are about 50-70 dB too high of a level going into it and you risk blowing the input of the sound card.The three standard audio level outputs are microphone level typically about -50 dB, line level output typically around zero dB to -15 dB, and speaker level which is measured in watts or milliwatts. As a reference one milliwatt is zero dB so you can see the potential for a gross mismatch in levels. Having worked in audio I would not really suggest this unless you know something about levels and how to match grossly mismatched levels. The ability to simply plug and play with this is highly dependant on the abilities of your soundcard.
:oops:Sorry, was thinking computer to stereo.

UCA222_P0A31_Right_L.png

I plug the 1/8 mono cable with RCA adapter into the extension speaker jack on the radio. and the right channel input on the UCA222 Records great with Audacity I can adjust record and playback levels etc. Will not hurt the computer etc.
Now I need play back to the Radio. I would like to play back recorded audio thru the radio with out Audio from the mic element. Question will the line out on this device match the audio input on the Mic / or disconnect mic element and inject at that location. Key up mic play audio into where mic element was .etc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.