• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Record Copper/Stainless Prices = Theft.

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
Record Copper prices:
http://www.purchasing.com/article/CA6538866.html

And Stainless Steel:
Stainless steel prices are moving higher and global economic uncertainty has yet to impact the sector, Juha Rantanen, chief executive of Finnish stainless steel company Outokumpu said on Thursday.
02/21/2008

The price of recycled Copper is running over $3.40 a Lb, and Stainless is $1.15+ here in Ca, and theft of it is on the rise.
And this is starting to hit close to home, real close.
The company I work for here in Ca, has 3 plants, and over the last month, we have been hit 3 times....copper, stainless steel, and aluminum.
They will unbolt it, chop it off with a hacksaw, and rip it out however they can.
We had parts cut from some Italian Finshers ( all stainless steel )
that cost several thousand dollars to replace, and are worth only a few hundred dollars in scrap value.
As a result, we now have had to hire Guards to patrol the plants at night...so far it has stopped.
I was talking to my youngest son,( lives in MO), on the phone this weekend, and he told me about a local car dealership that had 29 Cad converters chopped out of cars over the weekend , I guess they strip out the metal catalyst, usually platinum, rhodium,or palladium, and it gets sold as scrap.
Some of the newest converters have even started to use gold mixed with the more traditional catalysts, and the price of gold is on the rise as well.
I spoke with another Plant Manager this past week who told me about how his plant got broken into, and they ripped copper wire out of conduits, big stuff, 480 volt 3 phase supplys from main panels.
It is not the cost of the materal itself that is so bad, but the damage they cause, and the work that has to be done to replace it.
Unfortunatly they were smart enought to turn the power off :angry:

I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has this happining in your part of the country, or if you are even aware of this type of theft.

Jeff

theft of copper

Yes, we are here in Pa. and also have the same problems. New housing is having the plumbing,and electrical riped out before its can be compleated.
Also the older homes that are vacant are being vandilized for the copper and what ever they can do to get cash. Its been going on for a very long time, just can't seem to catch the people who are doing it.
BOBCAT 115

and you wonder why good coax can be costly . Would rather have them stealing this crap then ripping me off , better yet , at least they ain't shooting and killing people for it. (could always be worse) I only save my aluminum cans through out the year , I don't recycle other then that , I let the homeless people and folks that are not to well off, take what they want out of my trash .(it's trash to me anyway and there usually neat about it) Most notable paper work gets burned in my fire place.

I remember several months ago hearing a report of steel guard rails on our roadways being stolen, presumably for the value of the scrap steel.

I've got a family member that deals in cell tower sites. It's something like 95% of the time a tower site goes off the air they get on site to find out that the entire lightning ground field has been removed as has all the hard line and ground wire on the tower as high as anyone can reach.

The lightning ground is something like six ought copper ringing the entire tower site with connecting radials that are 4 ought or so. It's an insanely expensive amount of copper right now.

They just had to use an excuse here man , just another case of the homeless killing the homeless , happens everyday somehwere in a America. These guys and gals walk the streets with shopping carts full of shit (scrap) to buy there alcohol and 99 cent specials at McDonalds . No different then the gang bangers in L.A. , they kill each other off for nothing other then
territorial reasons.
. Unfortunately , they can be sloppy about it and kill innocent people along the way. They find dead homeless everyday of the week in Los Angeles. Good ole America !

the theft of copper here in the Great Lakes is really out of hand espcially in Detroit,(i live 50 miles north of that joke of a city with its mayor and crime so please don"t laugh at me,LOL),first it was bricks and alumium now copper.in Detroit they steel the copper right in the middle of the day.

Crack heads; yes I agree but you guys have to remember that are economy is for shit. The scrap industry is flourishing with material because of high pricing of over sea's exchange. I use to work at a scrap yard in Cleveland Ohio and just about 80% of are material went to china. The reason being is that the U.S. industries do not want to pay anything and the rising economy in china can afford to pay top dollar for "are" scrap. I don't know whom to blame but I'm thinking more or less Bush and the so-called war in Iraq. Just my 2 cents.

Bush is but a puppet on many strings . He gets the blame for everything cause he's the major puppet on the many major controlling strings. I often tell myself , I figure we the American people don't even know the half of it ! only what the media lets us know. You got guys like Mike Moore and many others telling us the truths , or the others like the Trade Centers and what really happened there. Are you kidding me !! ? The way I see it for myself , knowing the whole truth and nothing but the truth might just get a bullet in my head . Bottom line ........I don't want to know , because what I don't know will more then likely not hurt me. It's going to hurt me anyway I look at it to a degree , IM an American and I just figure it could always be worse for me elsewhere. So I shut my damned mouth and play the game of life as it is handed to me. I'll let all you others whom seem to have the answers believe in what you want to believe as I will believe what I believe. Yeap ! It's all Bush's fault :rolleyes: like his poppa , he gets to go home to his oil rich life. Some shit just runs in the family and stays that way. Peace

Yep and you have hit the nail right on the head. You, like many other Americans continue to go with the flow and don't give two shats about what’s really going on with this country. We all worry about getting up and going to work and paying the bills, going on like nothing's wrong; it's what we have to do. But I am for sure as hell sick of all of are jobs going over-seas and paying $3 or more for gasoline, and being taxed on stuff that shouldn't be taxed. Yes times have changed and things are not going to be like they were but we, as Americans have to draw the line somewhere. I'm not saying Bush is bad nor good but this country has gone down hill since he's been in office. Yes there are far worst countries out there but if we Americans don't open are eyes and see the truth we'll be no better than those other countries. Just my 2 cents....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.