• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Removing Surface Mount Resisters

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Wondering how most remove SMD components. I'm talking just single resisters or diodes, no chips or anything like that.

I do have a single small 15 watt iron.

Do you place solder on each end to raise the temp, or do you alternate heat back and forth while applying slight pressure?

Or, do you use two small irons heating both sides at once?

Just curious. I wish I had a hot air station or a tweezer iron, but I don't.

How ya'll do it?

normally if i just want one part out, like for a conversion, i grab it with either small needle nose or hemostats and crush it.
that's the down right quick and dirty way lol.

most times you can remove parts with a blob of solder on the end of the iron, especially if you use a wider tip.
it will roll over the part and loosen each side and you just lift it out with the iron if you're lucky.
drawback to this is that sometimes you'll have to use some wick to clean up the traces.

i bought one of these a few months back and i am impressed with it.
it's the normal chinese product that you'll see under many different names.
i unplug it after each use just because some of the wiring is kind of sketchy in other chinese products that i have tried.

the iron works great!
the air heats up super fast and you do have to play with the air speed a little bit to get the right flow.
high temp + high speed = cool air. back off on the air flow until you find the temp you're after and you're good to go.

[Edit]
Here's the review that I left for it.....

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Just what I needed
August 30, 2012
By vTi
Amazon Verified Purchase

vTi said:
I bought this mainly for its small size. I like the long AC power cord and there is plenty of extra room in the bottom of the soldering iron holder to serve as storage for all the extra tips.
I haven't used the soldering iron yet but I'm sure it will work just fine.
I did use the hot air to reflow the ribbon connector for the display of my Yaesu 857d, which had several lines showing, set the temp to 325 and it worked perfectly after adjusting the airflow to around 6.
The only drawback that I see is that the magnetic cutoff switch for the hot air is touchy, I had to slide the tool around in the holder for the magnet to activate the switch.
I have spent more for less and I am happy with this purchase.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.