• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

replacement internal speakers for radios 2950 2510 etc

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
where can these speakers be found I found some but they were about 1/2 watt to 1 1/2 watt and I believe I need 3 watt capable in 2510,2950,uniden pc-122 etc

If the impedance of the replacement speaker is in the ballpark, go ahead and use it. One watt of audio in a small space usually is plenty for anyone with decent hearing.

beetle,
i think what he means is that the speakers only handle 1/2 watt etc...

the radio puts out 2-3 watts of audio power, (not sure about the exact number), and the speakers he's found cant handle the power.

tony, these are for galaxy radios, but it says they also work in mirage radios, etc...
i would imagine that all speakers for CB type radios are very similar.
just might work!
they have lots of other cool parts too.
http://www.mpaudio1.com/Galaxyparts.html
loosecannon

My point is that even if the audio section of the rig put out 100 watts, he wouldn't be able to listen to it very long without going deaf, even if the speaker were rated for a KW.

Replacement speakers are almost literally a dime a dozen. Try one out; just be sure the impedance is at least the same as that of the original speaker. If you replace a 4 ohm with an 8 ohm, you might notice that it's not quite as loud as it was before - or it might be just fine.

Experiment. Learn. That's what it's all about!

beetle, i agree with every statement you made in your post.
i think you might be missing the point of his question a bit though.

if his radio puts out 100 watts, and the speaker is only rated to handle 25 watts; the speaker could blow with the radio turned up loud.
im pretty sure we all like to have things a bit overrated on power handling so that we are not afraid to turn the radio all the way up.

remember how loud it gets inside a big truck.

i dont think his question was about the impedance of the speaker; rather he was trying to find a source for a speaker that would fit in the stock location on the bottom cover, and would easily handle the audio output of his CB radio without worry.

i hope you dont think im trying to start a dispute or being "crotchety"; i am just clarifying for the original poster.
i very much enjoy reading your posts and look forward to reading many more.
later,
loosecannon

its actually a mirage 2950ex ( made before the rci 2950dx) and as far as wattage i dont want to install a speaker thats gonna blow from over powering

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.