• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

replacing s-meter in grant xl

B

BOOTY MONSTER

my grants s-meter needs to be replaced . looks simple enough . take off the top , bottom , knobs and front faceplate . desolder two leads . take out old meter and reverse the steps to put it back in .

but where to get the meter from ? seems like there was a mtw-somethingoranother place that had them but i can find it now . anyhow . where can i get a replacement beter for my grant ? this one is frozen about half way and wont budge a millimeter .

thanks .

Same meter as the Cobra 148GTL. Easy to replace. I bought two meters from eBay - paid $14 for the pair including shipping. Original replacements. Each comes with replacement bulbs I think.
Don't worry - it's a solid deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/REPLACEMENT-MET...in_0?hash=item2ea79a6fc3&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
I've bought from texxcomm before - he is an honest guy - quite solid.
You may well have to adjust all meter settings after installing new unit. I did. Just as well.

Last edited:
hey booty,

yes, replacing the meter wont be a very difficult task.

one thing to remember is that there is a little plastic insert that goes around the meter that holds it in place on the metal faceplate of the radio.
just make sure you make a note of which "notch" in the insert is being used.
you'll see what i mean when you do it.

just a couple of ideas.
have you tried "unsticking" the meter?

look at the bottom of the meter and you will see a small flathead screw with a piece of clear tape over it.
the key word to this procedure is careful.

remove the piece of tape and using a jewelers screwdriver; turn the screw about 1/4 turn in each direction.
dont turn it any more than that because it can screw up the meter.
doing this a couple of times should loosen up the needle and let it float like it was supposed to.

its worth a shot, and hey, if it doesnt work; you were going to replace it anyway.
like Rob said, its the same meter as in a 148GTL and should be widely available on ebay.

ever thought about replacing the meter light with a white LED?
it sure makes the meter easier to read.

also, i have had to re-calibrate meters sometimes after replacing them.
not always, but sometimes.
just something to consider when attempting it.

just have a local that has a base station that hits you somewhere around mid scale give you a deadkey on one of your working radios, and after replacing the meter, have them do it again while you adjust the S meter pot inside the radio for the same reading.

yes, its not an exact science, but it will work.

good luck,
LC

I should start charging that kind of price for them things, I seem to have been shorting myself over the years, really? $7.00 each?????

Same meter as the Cobra 148GTL. Easy to replace. I bought two meters from eBay - paid $14 for the pair including shipping. Original replacements. Each comes with replacement bulbs I think.
Don't worry - it's a solid deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/REPLACEMENT-METER-COBRA-29-148-OTHERS_W0QQitemZ200380411843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea79a6fc3&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
I've bought from texxcomm before - he is an honest guy - quite solid.
You may well have to adjust all meter settings after installing new unit. I did. Just as well.

yeh its pretty easy to do. some of the cobra radios will have a backing plate to hold the meter in place but just trash the plate and put a dab of hot glue on the sides and rock and roll.

dodgem,

do you really think no one here knows what you are doing when you resurrect these old posts???

we all know you come here attempting to advertise your CB shop that you constantly say has been around for 30 years.

i know you will come here and deny this, but we all know its true. you arent fooling anyone.

did you know you are actually making yourself look worse by doing this?
its true!

have you ever met anyone in your life that just kept telling you how good they were at something?
and then you find out that they were all talk, and really werent half as good as they said they were.

all adults know that someone who is good at what they do doesnt have to
"toot their own horn".

when you do this, you only make yourself look desperate.

you have done this enough times here for all of us to know your game.

either you are going hungry and need business really badly, or you just have one of those egos that constantly needs feeding.
since no one else will feed your ego for you; you do it yourself.

if you actually have something to add to a thread, then by all means do it, but your veiled advertisements, and avatar plastering are not fooling anyone.

just so you know.

river rat,
hot glue may work well where you live, but come out here to the desert and put a radio that has hot glue in it in a car for an hour on a hot day, and that glue will turn to liquid goop.
hot glue should not be recommended to truckers who drive their rigs into different climates.

LC

dodgem,
if you actually have something to add to a thread, then by all means do it, but your veiled advertisements, and avatar plastering are not fooling anyone.

LOL, thanks, something I've wanted to say every time I see his posts.. This guy claims to have been doing this so long, and is so good, but he didn't even know the 2000GTL had 2 speaker jacks, and tried to school me on D-104 history on another forum, of which he actually knows little. Know-It-All is very befitting... We all know this kind of "Tech" we've been warned about them, and have seen more then one radio that has gone through his likes...

I've been in this game for nearly 40 years now, and still get excited about learning something new which is all the fun for me.. And as for know it all, not me, just have had the opportunity to play with tons of radios over the years, and have had a shit load of fun... Money isn't a reason to be in the Repair game, if that is what it is, get a real job.... I always enjoyed meeting and talking with the typically "colorful" personality of most CB'ers :)

ON TOPIC: Booty I've sent you a PM, have a meter for you and description on my other Grant parts...

LOL, sorry, I think you've got your panties in a bunch over something, not sure what it is, but.... anyway. I'll just move to a less "........" atmosphere, I see there are enough know it all here.

dodgem,

do you really think no one here knows what you are doing when you resurrect these old posts???

we all know you come here attempting to advertise your CB shop that you constantly say has been around for 30 years.

i know you will come here and deny this, but we all know its true. you arent fooling anyone.

did you know you are actually making yourself look worse by doing this?
its true!

have you ever met anyone in your life that just kept telling you how good they were at something?
and then you find out that they were all talk, and really werent half as good as they said they were.

all adults know that someone who is good at what they do doesnt have to
"toot their own horn".

when you do this, you only make yourself look desperate.

you have done this enough times here for all of us to know your game.

either you are going hungry and need business really badly, or you just have one of those egos that constantly needs feeding.
since no one else will feed your ego for you; you do it yourself.

just so you know.

river rat,
hot glue may work well where you live, but come out here to the desert and put a radio that has hot glue in it in a car for an hour on a hot day, and that glue will turn to liquid goop.
hot glue should not be recommended to truckers who drive their rigs into different climates.

LC

Dodgem -

What LC said is the TRUTH !!!

IF you don't like it, then too bad. I've been cbing for a looong time, and my experience has been that when someone has to tell everybody how good he is...chances are he isn't worth a sh..!

If you have something meaningful to contribute here, then do so... otherwise go back to the other forums where the less intelligent are more apt to believe you.

Im fairly new to the in depth side of CB but correct me if im wrong, the Grant XL is the same radio as a Cobra 148 right?
I Have two 148's now and both had to have the meter replaced :headbang . Now I believe that the Cobra 29, 148, and Grant all use the same swr meter. I took apart my 29 to look at the meter to compare it to the 148 and it looks identical so those three radios all have the same meter and I'm sure there are more that use the same. I didn't do the work on mine because I don't know how to calibrate the new meter :( but the guy who did mine only took about 10 min if that to replace it and adjust it. Next time if i have another meter go out I'm going to try it.
Anybody know what you have to turn for the meter adjustment?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.