• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

replacing turner SSK mic cable

B

BOOTY MONSTER

i got a turner SSK with a old bearcat 23C base radio for $15 off of craigs list . was told the radio lighted up but he didnt have a antenna to test it . i was only interested in the mic . the SSK will make the 23c key up , but it wont show any modulation , the 23c uses a 4 pin plug .
i dont care about the radio .
i want to use the mic on my washington that uses the 5 pin mic plug . i cut the cord off the stock mice than came with my 78ltw (figgured just replace the cord on the turner) ground to ground , red to red , black to black and white surrounded by ground to yellow surrounded by ground . on my washington i get no recieve with the ssk in it and if i key it i hear my recieve , and of course no deadkey . yes there is a good battery iun it .

i know im doing this backwards , most folks just add or rewire the mic plug , but i figgured i put a shinny new cord on it and just left the stock mics plug unchanged . i dont know if i can hert anything just swapping wires around so i havnt .
so what is the correct way to connect this stock uniden mic CORD to the turner SSK mics base . i know it could have issues too , but for $15 i had to take a chance on it .
BTW im using a 4 pin to 5 pin adaptor on the washington and both the uniden stock mic and the 2018 with a 4 pin plug work fine on it .
HELP !! LOL
thanks .

They make the mic plug 5 pin for a reason: Pin 2 (audio shield) and Pin 4 (RX/TX ground) are not the same. They run at different potential and in many cases Pin 4 doesn't have an RF choke on the mic PCB in the radio. A 4 pin adapter just jumps pin 2 and 4 together which can lead to mic squeal if there is enough RF floating around during TX.

To do it right, you need to use at least a 4 wire + shield mic cable and a 5 pin mic plug. Use the leaf switch closest to the amp board in the mic. It has 3 solder lugs on it. Solder the TX wire (probably red) to the lug closest to the bottom of the mic. Solder the RX/TX ground wire (whatever color it is) to the middle lug - make sure there is no other wire going to it. Solder the RX wire (probably Black) to the lug closest to the top of the mic.

Solder the RX/TX wire to pin 4 in the mic plug and don't use the 4 pin adapter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.