• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

resistor question.

O

oldslowchevy

i need a resistor with the value of 5 watts@100ohms, i can not find this locally though.

but can i daisy chain 10, 1/2 watt@10 ohm resistors to get my desired value?

or should they all be 100 ohm?

yeah yeah yeah i know newb question i know.:cry:

i need a resistor with the value of 5 watts@100ohms, i can not find this locally though.

but can i daisy chain 10, 1/2 watt@10 ohm resistors to get my desired value?

or should they all be 100 ohm?

yeah yeah yeah i know newb question i know.:cry:

Parralel three 2 watts to make a 6 watt 100 ohm or 5 one watt

Sent from my LG-P990h using Tapatalk 2

If by "daisy chaining" them you mean connecting them in series, the half-watt resistors will be right at the upper limit of their power rating. The resistance should be about the same, given normal manufacturing tolerances, but 100 ohms @ 5 watts gives a total current of about 0.224 amperes, and this amount of current has to flow through EACH of the resistors.

Using P = I^2R, I get 0.50176... watts. No safety margin at all.

i am just tring to lowwer my dead key from 10 watts to 5 watts, the instuctions say to use a 5 watt 100 ohm resistor, i can not source them locally so now i am looking at other options.

20 5 ohm 1/2 watt resisters in series will get that 5 watts at 100 ohms. Actually 10 watts but that will work.
- 'Doc

Just order a resistor, that wad of 5 ohm resistors is probably bigger than you got room for.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.