• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reversing an antenna switch?

badfish

Dec 1, 2008
Here's a crazy question for you all. Is it possible to reverse a antenna switch? Instead of 1 radio being switched between 2 antennas, could I run 1 antenna between 2 radios? Obviously not at the same time. I have 1 antenna and want to run one radio in my house and 1 in the garage.

Done everyday. Go for it. Just remember to switch the antenna to the radio you are going to use and turn off the radio you are not going to use.
It will bleed over from the radio you transmit on into the receive section of the off-line radio.

I currently have 3 antenna switches in line in my shack to make it easy to switch between radios and antennas.

I am sure others will chime in with more advice.

Switching a switch around is not a problem. RF doesn't know what way it is flowing. MFJ (and others) make a dual switch with inputs on one side for antennas and inputs on the other side for radios. The switches inside are identical and they allow different transmitters to be connected to different antennas.

mfj1700c.jpg

I also do this in 2 different rooms here in the house between ham rigs and 11 meter rigs. An antenna or coax switch is not polarized so its all good (UNLESS) your talking an SWR power meter like the DosyTC-4002-PSW like I have here with the built in antenna switch then it cant be done.

I'm doing it right now.

I have two radios and one A99. Just connect your radio's into the antenna 1, 2, 3, etc plugs, and connect the antenna into where the radio plugs in.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.