• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

REVIEW OF THE NEW PRESIDENT MCKINLEY

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
Thought I'd share Mike's review of the new President McKinley. There is also a good follow-up review added after he had discovered a nice feature that's not advertised as being an accessory to the McKinley (yet). If you're in the market for a smaller AM SSB mobil rig this might peak your interest. 73

Looks like a solid little radio. I wouldn't mind buying one but I probably won't, because it shares the same problem as my 980. It is locked up tight, so there won't be any funny channels. If my 980 could be unlocked it would be the perfect radio for me. Well that and a rm kl 203 behind it.

Reactions: kaos513
It's turned down to 3 watts swinging 10 watts on am. On sideband I get 10 watts out of it and I get about 140-150 watts with the 203 on. I think it runs the amp a little to hard on am, I think 2 watts deadkey on am would be better. It can still get really hot on sideband if I get long-winded.

Last edited:
It's turned down to 3 watts swinging 10 watts on am. On sideband I get 10 watts out of it and I get about 140-150 watts with the 203 on. I think it runs the amp a little to hard on am, I think 2 watts deadkey on am would be better. It can still get really hot on sideband if I get long-winded.
A variable (exstenal control) output knob would be a good mod. It's a nice feature if you have or plan on driving different amps. 73

Reactions: kaos513
Well shit I don't know how to turn down the radio. Never been inside of a radio:(
I don't either. That's what Tech's are for. If you've a bit of soldering skills I'm sure someone here would be willing to walk you through the modification (from start to finish.)
I would assume there's an internal pot/potentiometer that raises and lowers the output.
I would also assume that the modification would require you to solder 1, 2, or maybe more wires to that potentiometer and run those leads outside of the radio. Where you would solder those wires to another potentiometer that could easily either be installed in a drilled hole, or just left hanging outside of the back of the radio if you prefer not to drill holes in your radios case. I don't think it's that difficult.
And if you were so inclined to do so as I mentioned above, there will definitely be more than one person willing to guide you from a to z on how to add this modification to your 980.
It's an excellent modification to any radio, that might be used with different amplifiers. If you're just going to use it on one amp and want to lower the output down a bit and don't know how to, just ask. Someone here will tell you how to lower the output on your 980 in the blink of an eye. They'll tell you exactly what pot needs to be turned. And you'll be good to go. Good luck. 73

The radio is nice with variable power via front. Low of 3/4w to about 3 3/4 on AM.

On SSB I whistled on low to about 5-7w and 12-15w on high using my Asatic PDC1 meter.

I get great audio reports with it. I got MO barefoot today from here in Pittston, PA on 38 lower with skip.

Would be great for RM 200P or 203P, IMO.

Last edited:
Looks like a solid little radio. I wouldn't mind buying one but I probably won't, because it shares the same problem as my 980. It is locked up tight, so there won't be any funny channels. If my 980 could be unlocked it would be the perfect radio for me. Well that and a rm kl 203 behind it.
My problem witht hem is that I can get a President Lincoln II for either the same price or $10 more so why spend that type of money for a FCC Type accepted (limited) SSB radio. If they lower the prices so they sell for $150-ish retail than I could I see them as a viable option but not int he $200+ range. I get a AT-6666 for that sort of money.

I also think it is rather ugly. That said the President Lincoln II is ugly as well. I do like the that it is not huge but it is larger than the Lincoln II I think also. We either get cluttered faces with way too many controls per square inch like the Stryker 955 or we get this spartan face plate. Do we need that much space taken up by the display given the few things it does? It is not like this thing is 10,11,12+6 meter or anything like that. No spectrum analyzer or other stuff that needs a display that large.With only 40 ch and SSB that is a waste of space. Menu's make sense as does multi-function controls when you either have too little space or too many controls but in this case they have plenty of space to give you conventional controls with out the face being cluttered.

Having to go through menu's is always a pain if their really is not a need to do that.

That said it shows promise if they can either get the price down or improve the user interface!

A variable (exstenal control) output knob would be a good mod. It's a nice feature if you have or plan on driving different amps. 73
Not really because no one does one that remains linear. Variable RF in a lot of radio's is poorly executed and modulation does not track with power output. If you modify it to use the mic gain to sort of control modulation in relationship to the rf variable it never fails people forget to readjust as they change power setting. Also with out a scope you are always close but either over modulated or under modulated. In true amateur radio's this is not problem because the circuit is more complicated than what we get in CB or black box radio!

On top of that just because a final has the ability to make more power does not mean the rest of the circuit can do it cleanly with modulation. The audio amp and voltage regulator parts are not up to the job. That is why when you do mod's to exceed 100% modulation you have to have really low dead keys and pep and need to have several amp stages head room suffers.

I found that MeoEstore is selling the President McKinley for $161.93 plus $9 shipping.
Not $150 but not $200 either.
$173.93 is only $23.93 more than $150 everyone seems to be wishing it was.
If I wanted one for myself I don't think the $23.93 would be an obstacle. It's good that people actually do complain about the price. If president is listening the price just might come down to the $150 most seem to think it's worth.
And if the geniuses that are most likely working on a channel expansion mod get that dialed in the rig would probably sell even at the lowest price of $173.93 I found it for online.
Those who actually collect/hoard (president) cb's are probably going to purchase one anyway if they haven't already.

Codeman, the 980 channel mod has been figured out. you can find the videos from the guy that did it on youtube.

the one feature i really liked about the McKinley is the SWR setting audio tones.
what a cool idea.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.