• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF Choke

The Howler

Apr 22, 2020
Didn’t want to hijack The Ground plane vs metal mast thread.
I live in a area with some major high voltage lines running down the street in front of my house. I have grounded everything That Justme suggested in this thread. I would like to try the RF chokes, any suggestions on chokes that folks have had good luck with? I know absolutely Nothing about these.
Thanks, Greg

Reactions: secret squirrel

The two main choices I'd use...

NUMBER ONE: 8 turns of RG58 on a FT240-61 toroid. You can put it in a small plastic box and solder sockets onto the end to make it look nice. This will give you by far the best choking on 11m.

Second: 5 turns of RG213 or RG58, whichever you're using, on a 110mm/4.25" diameter non-metallic tube. Here in the UK plastic underground waste water pipe is the exact size. Has to be the exact number of turns and size as the coil is a tuned circuit so altering the dimensions alters the frequency it works on.

Ultimately though if you're getting noise from the power lines the only people who can sort that are the power company. It's worth reporting as it may be a pole transformer or line insulators going bad.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated