• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFI problem on Dodge Ram

theradioroom

Jul 26, 2005
I have a customer who has a Palomar 300 amp in his truck. Co-phased antennas. New coax, amp mounted good, good SWR (1.2:1). When he keys up on high power, the truck will shut off or start acting up(rpm drops, electrical problems). I checked voltage with it keyed up and modulating, doesn't drop past 13.5 volts. Good grounds on the antennas, good ground on amp and radio. Puzzled at this point. Anyone have any suggestions? Appears to be RFI causing computer to screw up. Ran some diagnotic tests from the computer and on key up map, tps and some other sensors showing low voltage. I put ferrite on these sensor wires and on the computer. Still does it. Suggested making a bag out of brass or copper mesh, surround to computer and wiring with it and ground the mesh for rfi filtering. Don't know what else to tell the customer to do? Any input would be nice.

Thanks,
Mr. Magoo

Get rid of the co-phase ant stuff...

Run 1 antenna on top of the roof of the truck with a tri-mag mount..or a Wilson 5000 mag mount antenna...
tune for 1.1 swr..
your problem will be gone...

AM POWER

I agree with AM Power ditch the co phase set up and everything will more than likely iron right out. I have heard of people using ferrite on the wires going into the computer, I guess it helps keep the rf from traveling down them and into it. Maybe worth a try

theradioroom said:
I have a customer who has a Palomar 300 amp in his truck. Co-phased antennas. New coax, amp mounted good, good SWR (1.2:1). When he keys up on high power, the truck will shut off or start acting up(rpm drops, electrical problems). I checked voltage with it keyed up and modulating, doesn't drop past 13.5 volts. Good grounds on the antennas, good ground on amp and radio. Puzzled at this point. Anyone have any suggestions? Appears to be RFI causing computer to screw up. Ran some diagnotic tests from the computer and on key up map, tps and some other sensors showing low voltage. I put ferrite on these sensor wires and on the computer. Still does it. Suggested making a bag out of brass or copper mesh, surround to computer and wiring with it and ground the mesh for rfi filtering. Don't know what else to tell the customer to do? Any input would be nice.

Thanks,
Mr. Magoo

move the antenna to the roof or behind the cab because you're making a roasted ram weiner out of the pickup as I assume you have the antennas mounted to the mirrors.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.