• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RG-8X vs. RG-8U coax?

Steve H

Oct 31, 2010
I hope that I got the letters and numbers correct. I am wondering about the performance AND weatherproof comparisons between mini-8 cable and stiff RG-8 cable. It's for a cb base station installation.

I'm installing a base cb antenna on the roof of my house, and just need enough length to get it to my cb in the basement. The mini-8 cable just seems really weak and flimsy for this application, but I've also had RG-8 cable cut nearly in half by a simple windstorm (up against the side of a gutter). So any advice would be appreciated.

rg-8x is 1/4'' and rg-8u is 1/2'', big difference.

I use the rg-8u on my base and you can beat a mule to death with it and still talk dx so you must be thinking of rg58u which is nearly the same size as 8x with a lower power handling capability.

Get some rg-8u or 213 and that'll last for many years.

rg-8x is 1/4'' and rg-8u is 1/2'', big difference.

I use the rg-8u on my base and you can beat a mule to death with it and still talk dx so you must be thinking of rg58u which is nearly the same size as 8x with a lower power handling capability.

Get some rg-8u or 213 and that'll last for many years.

personally i'd avoid both like the plague, neither is proper US mil spec cable, i doubt rg8/x was ever mil spec and rg8/u was replaced by rg213/u years ago as the military standard (which means if its real mil-c-17 spec rg8/u its donkeys years past its shelf life), i'd also avoid any cable that says the word type after its designation, which is another clue to inferior quality.

if it ain't good enough for uncle sam it ain't getting anywhere near any of my antennas. fuck that for a game of soldiers.

personally i'd avoid both like the plague, neither is proper US mil spec cable, i doubt rg8/x was ever mil spec and rg8/u was replaced by rg213/u years ago as the military standard (which means if its real mil-c-17 spec rg8/u its donkeys years past its shelf life), i'd also avoid any cable that says the word type after its designation, which is another clue to inferior quality.

if it ain't good enough for uncle sam it ain't getting anywhere near any of my antennas. fuck that for a game of soldiers.

DAMN U MAD LOL :mad:

i didnt know y'all had a Uncle Sam in the UK .....????

We don't, but doesn't mean i don't know where to find quality. Uk equivalent Uniradio URM cables are just as good as uncle sam's RG spec. But these days it pays to have a far wider outlook than within your own countries borders.

the way i see it is simple, if it's good enough for the most advanced military regime in the world ( albeit their a tad gung ho and more of a danger to their allies than enemies, but we try not to hold it against them:LOL:) then its just about good enough for my ass to dx on. As the transmission line is possibly THE most important part of your station, it's not an area i choose to skimp on Booty.

Considering the use it'd be put to, RG-8 (or RG-213) should do just fine. Won't be the absolute most bestest thing in the world, but the differences are not going to be that noticeable (if at all) at HF. If it's installed correctly, it won't be beat to death by the weather. Barring any nicks or cuts in the outer insulation, and if the 'ends'/connectors are sealed, there just aren't many coax cables that will not be weather resistant (weather -proof- costs more but is available). There really is such a thing as being 'practical'. If you really, really want the absolute mostest bestest 'bullet proof' coax cable around get ready for a very large bill! Unrealistic expectations will haunt you.
- 'Doc

George I don't necessarily base all my decisions on things that are military spec.

I base my choices on personal experience and research on the product in question and the rg-8 has been around for decades and used in base and mobile installations for as many years so that's where I base my suggestions to Steve H. on.

Yes I use rg-8 on my lw-150 vertical that is a 41' run from the antenna to the radio and in that length the is no appreciable losses and I use a better version of mini-8 which has a foil shield over the braided shield to my g5rv and both serve me well and actually exceed my needs.

Steve H. stated that his antenna on the roof so there is no need for a special coax that is rated for underground use so his run will be short enough for the rg-8 to be efficient in power loss saving him some money to be used for other stuff like a good swr/power meter or maybe a better radio or antenna and he can update his feed line later if need .

which means if its real mil-c-17 spec rg8/u its donkeys years past its shelf life

Too add to Jazz N Doc`s post
Another thing to think about, old coax....is old coax.
Coax , at least in my opinion, over the years has a life span.
Yes being installed correctly helps a bunch, but if you live in an area with brutal weather conditions, it is tough on coax just being there.
Depending on the operating conditions, it can become weathered, connectors work loose from the rotor flexing it, the shield oxidizes and so on.
It pays to examine it from time to time depending on where you live, weather conditions it has to endure, etc.
Sealing connectors is very important, even more so with certain type`s of coax.
Yes I agree....feed line is a very important part of your station.

Jeff

I appreciate all the answers, everyone. I found a place that sells both RG-8 and 213 cable on the internet. They are the same price for an 18 ft. piece with the connectors already soldered on. So when Uncle Sam (the American one) sends me my tax return, I'll get to work on this.;)

Since this is in the CB section, I'll dare going against the grain on this.

The loss difference is negligible on 27 Mhz. I use 8X on it with no problems. I have used 8U (mine is 1/2") and Times LMR 400 and cannot tell any difference. I think the loss tables back me up on this at 27Mhz.

I now use the 400 for VHF/UHF (where line loss is a significant factor) and the 8U for whatever I need it for.

In this application, 8X seems fine unless high power is used.

I looked up 8U and it's a bit larger than a centimeter ( 10.29 mm) with the foam dielectric being larger than 1/4" (.285"). The mini is the small stuff.

if money is tight and your doing half a kilowatt or less PEP id feel fine with QUALITY 8x on a 100 ft or less run . if youre running high power , a longer run or money isnt a problem id get some davis bury-flex and quality amphenol connectors . make sure both the center and braid/shield conductors are securely soldered to the 259s .

One thing to remember is that RG 8U wire is only rated at about 50 watts maximum and when you raise the transmit power up around 100 watts the dielectric in the center tends to melt and it doesn't hold up very good.

RG 8U wire is maybe 1/4 inch in diameter max and not half inch.
I think someone has RG 8 and RG 11 confused.

Coaxial cable has a infinite shelf life.
Even when in use, as long as you keep moisture out of the cable, the cable will last a very long time. / when you do not weatherproof your connections - it is just a matter of time until the moisture gets inside of the wire and degrades the signal...

The older style foam dielectric CB cable wire did not work well when it got old, even if it was in storage - the shields tended to crack and leak.

But the greater distance between the shield and center conductor and the larger center conductor made it a much better wire for communications use in the low bands then the RG 8 or RG 11.

RG-8U cable is just over .4 inches in diameter, according to a couple of sites that are selling it. That's close to a half inch.

I won't be pushing more than about 20 watts through it. But the cable breaking down at over 100 watts? I'll admit that I'm not an expert here, but that seems a little off. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Even when in use, as long as you keep moisture out of the cable, the cable will last a very long time.

UV exposure from the sun degrades the plastic coating by drying it and that's when things go south.

I guess "a very long time" can be construed differently in different environmental exposures.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated