• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RG8X????

oldtoys1961

Nov 11, 2012
Hi, newbie here. Just got talked back into cb'ing by a few friends after I got out of it in the late 80's. So things ave changed a bit since.

I've got a used A-99, seems to work ok although 1.5swr is the best I can get with the tuning rings,50' of RG8x and a TRC-433 base, so I'll let it ride as long as its below the 2 level. All extra grounded with 4' rods. But the main question is pertaining to coax.

I've got to move it further away from the house due to power lines. I'm looking at 75' away for safety and 30' at least up to base. So I'm figuring 150' of coax. And this stuff isn't cheap nowadays so is RG8x acceptable for this task?

If RG8X will do then thats great as it fits the budget of a single father of 3, so the budget is tight. I also have a friend who'll loan me an old 100w amp/pre-amp to play with so I'll be sticking that in there if I can get this going affordably.

Will RG-8x work? Yes. That being said I personally would use something like RG-213, which is a more durable cable, and will have a bit less loss in the process. It is more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

The DB

That's a pretty long run of RG8X, but I'm with m42duster.... if that's what you can afford, do it and get on the air. Probably not enough loss that you'll ever notice anyway, especially with 100 whiskey's of extra help.

RT307

Reactions: 3 people
at that 150 ft run you're looking at about 1 db of loss DIFFERENCE compared to the 213 , 400 and 8/u coax that's more expensive . doubling (or halving) power is a 3 db difference and it will be the rare occasion that it will be the difference in making a contact . as long as you stay within the power limits of the 8X you'll be fine IMO . use a good quality coax though , there are good and crappy versions of all sizes sold .

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Will RG-8x work? Yes. That being said I personally would use something like RG-213, which is a more durable cable, and will have a bit less loss in the process. It is more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

The DB

He posted that he might run 100 watts so mini 8 is fine. The line loss difference between 8X and 213 is so small, it isn't worth the extra money.

Reactions: 2 people
He posted that he might run 100 watts so mini 8 is fine. The line loss difference between 8X and 213 is so small, it isn't worth the extra money.

I was actually more interested in the durability aspect. I put something up and want it to last. Maybe that's just me.

And, as I mentioned and you quoted me on, RG-8x will work.

The DB

I was actually more interested in the durability aspect. I put something up and want it to last. Maybe that's just me.

And, as I mentioned and you quoted me on, RG-8x will work.

The DB

I too would avoid rg8x as most of it falls under no quality standards, it is rarely good enough for outdoor use, indoors yeah ok,outdoors no way,my choice would be rg213 or even rg58 as long as they are quality with type 11a non contaminating vinyl jacket/sheath.

Too many people are hung up on cable loss,its probably the least important specification of any coax for use at cb/hf frequencies and those who obsess about it are probably the last people who should be giving advice on coax, sure its an important spec at vhf/uhf but at cb its almost irrelevant. What is relevant is quality shielding as you can't work what you can't hear and also making any connections watertight.

I totally agree with the db that installation longevity is far more important than buying coax that offers a paltry db gain but has such piss poor shielding it picks up and leaks rf all over the place or disintegrates in weather.

Most antenna problems I've seen/fixed in the last 12 years involved piss poor rg8x, I think the x stands for xtra crap.

What's wrong with running RG8X outdoors? My HF inverted L ran fine for years with it as did my various receive antennas. Only 100 watts but some crazy SWR on ot at times. Sure there are netter cables but there is no reason to avoid rg8x just because it is outdoors. Weatherproof it and it is fine. The issue is not witb the cable but rather doing a decent job with the connectors.

Reactions: 2 people
What's wrong with running RG8X outdoors? My HF inverted L ran fine for years with it as did my various receive antennas. Only 100 watts but some crazy SWR on ot at times. Sure there are netter cables but there is no reason to avoid rg8x just because it is outdoors. Weatherproof it and it is fine. The issue is not witb the cable but rather doing a decent job with the connectors.

(y)

As the saying goes: it's not the machine its the operator.
I too run rg8x outdoors on a dipole with 100w its been installed for two years only issue was some water breach (stupid me forgot to weather tite).

jazz , what do you think of these 8x coax types for 10-11 meters and a few hundred watts or less ?

DX Engineering RG-8X 50 Ohm Coaxial Cable Assemblies 8XDU150 - DXEngineering.com

http://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/chartsguides/d/dxe-coax-specs-9oct2012-1340crop.pdf

it has a UV resistant/direct bury type ll jacket similar to the 213 and a %96 braded shield .

The WireMan - Coaxial Cable

the wireman 118 . it has "low loss 8X-type coax, with foil plus tinned copper shield, micro-cell foam dielectric, and now with a great new, tougher, higher temperature, UV resistant jacket."

the wireman 117 . it has "a tough 'walk-on' polypropylene dielectric and tinned copper shield and tinned stranded center conductor, and now with a tough, long lived, scuff resistant, jacket."

I have 2 100' runs of 8X that have many years of service on them. The jackets look a little faded with staining, but are not compromised. I do use 9913F7 for my VHF/UHF needs. I use 8X, not because I'm cheap, but because it's easy to run and handle, plus I run less than 300 watts also.

Most failed installations of 8X that I come across are the result of operator laziness. The majority of operators fail to properly weatherproof their connections or allow sharp bends or areas of chafing in their runs.

Stay away from used hamfest cable and truck stop junk and you should be OK.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.