• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

riddle me this antenna man?

weatherman49

Apr 27, 2006
El Dorado AR
so here it is set up small radio midland 886c
cobra magnet mount mobile antenna
radio is on power supply in house antenna mounted to car outside coax thru window (redneck I know but wanted to see if would work) here's the riddle with the antenna on the car 5 TO 8 ft from my trailer I get swr of 1.8 to 2.0 I had to walk over the coax so I just stuck it on an old motorcyle frame that leans against the house it dropped to 1.2 go figure I would think that on the car it would be better because of the larger ground plane and also the fact that on the bike its within 8 in of the metal siding on the trailer any answers as to why the bike works better and recieve and transmission is fine at least 10 miles

It is probably a ground plane problem and it sounds like you have one with both setups. It is very difficult to really tell what the antenna sees as a GP on a mobile installation or any other that is like the bike deal. Maybe the bike is lower and you are seeing high ground losses and it makes the antenna appear to have a better match.

You are changing the ground beneath the antenna and that will affect SWR.Also since it is only 8" from the metal siding there is a certain amount of capacitance reactance that can cause detuning of the antenna.Perhaps the antenna is a bit inductive (too long) and the added capacitance canceled it out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.