• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy 203p amp

If you think he should put a four watt dead key into it go ahead and smoke that amp. As for 18 to 20 watts, thats the max amount of swing I would put into it. I know all about the 1:4 swng rule, but trust me if you put a 4 watt dead key into that amp it will not last long. For example a 1 watt dead key would only be 4 watts modulated power out of the radio if you followed the 1:4 rule, that would not drive that amp at all. Around 15 watts swing would be about right, and a 1-2 watt dead key is all I would put into that little amp. You should adjust your dead key on the radio to allow a 1:4 dead key and swing ratio out of the amp not the radio its self, as again that would only create 4 watts of swing out of the radio. Someone else could probably explian it better, but I hope this helped.
How do you check the difference between dead key and swing I have a Workman SWR and wattmeter but when I talk into it it doesn't seem to swing the watt meter it just holds steady at four and a half Watts any ideas am I using the wrong meter thank you for your time

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb
I was thinking about putting a RM Italy 203p amp on a Galaxy DX979 what does it entail? Is it too much? I,m looking to get 100 watts is this feasible? Am I gonna smoke this radio or amp? I don't know nothing about doing this. I've heard from another forum that it can be done as long as I have a low DK what must be done to the radio to accommodate the amp will there be some additional components to add to get this to run......Thanks!

ROADTRAIN
Are you looking to get 100 watts Peak or Average? I have a 203 in line with a President Bill with the dead-key set at 1.75 - 2.0 watts and it spits out about 75 watts average and works just fine. 102" stainless whip, spring, Breedlove Quick-disconnect Stake Pocket mount on a F-350.

Reactions: Holydvr and Rwb
I own 2 Galaxy DX 979 and have run them both with a KL-200 P & a KL-203 P The 979 has a external dead key adjustment knob so turn the knob to the bottom when running the amp and turn it all the way up when running bare foot. That's why I bought the 979. There is a pot inside to set the low end and the high end. Nice radio but in our winter climate they will drift a bit until they warm. I bought a FC- 347 Freq. counter for both but always though I should have unlocked the clarifiers.

How do you check the difference between dead key and swing I have a Workman SWR and wattmeter but when I talk into it it doesn't seem to swing the watt meter it just holds steady at four and a half Watts any ideas am I using the wrong meter thank you for your time
You need to use a watt meter that reads average and peak. There is usually a switch to go between the two.

you need meter with pep setting,however when in set mode some meters you set needle midrange key up n whistle to see pep

Reactions: Newbie solar guy
Take the radio and amp to a "pro" and have him/her set / adjust the radio and amp to obtain good results without damaging anything. Sometimes the "swing" can hurt the amp.
I found the am modulation adjustment in the so-called secretmenu of the Andy2, I'm putting in 1.75/2 watts deadkey and moves the needle to 3/4.5 watts as I say the ol dreaded "auuuuu....Dio" [.. THAT IS PEP or 'Swing' RIGHT? Idk, anyway.] "auuuuu,dio" before it even gets to amp. After that I'M Assuming my kl203p is throwing that signal thru my sloper 11 meter ,(8.6in. Per side 14ft apex to 2ft off ground) dipole . At about 70 watts at the peak of the word "audio??? that good I'm I right in my assumptions of pep and peak watts and Swing amount ? I'm going by what you cats talk about and try to copy it best we can,lol. It's the Swing and pepwatt stuff that's that is confusing thanks for sharing your thoughts bro.do you ever get skip from so.nev.? Or you can help,think it out, throw out ideas, questions, there is only so much a search engine can do.isnt this the Entire Reason For Forums? Thanks for sharing your inspirational comments( ie: go look it up.)

Last edited:
you need meter with pep setting,however when in set mode some meters you set needle midrange key up n whistle to see pep
Tried, cheap meter. Garage sale hobbyist , food more important at this point. Got new now.testing in progress. Will post more when I have a handle on stuf.lol confusion....
Ya…it’s only reading average power. Need a peak reading meter.
Got one couple days ago,got a chance to use it and compare to my other meters cheap and midrange and against my friends big big dollar stuff.so cool.love cbs. Wife loves them more...

Tried, cheap meter. Garage sale hobbyist , food more important at this point. Got new now.testing in progress. Will post more when I have a handle on stuf.lol confusion....

Got one couple days ago,got a chance to use it and compare to my other meters cheap and midrange and against my friends big big dollar stuff.so cool.love cbs. Wife loves them more...
Cool! Which meter did you get? Was it close to the big dollar meter in terms of accuracy??

you lucky man. your wife likes radio too,get her great radio encourage her

Reactions: whiteastro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.