• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy KL 503 HD - Anybody ever use?

I likely will not ever own one. But, some locals out where I live run them and they do well as long as they are not overdriving them. For awhile some were trying to wring every watt they could get out to of them it seems and would distort some and they would bleedover. It seems they have all settled down now, backed the input and audio down and they seem a much better amp than I initially thought!
Bingo ! You hit the nail on the head with this comment . DO NOT overdrive these and they work great. I would suggest not inputting more than 10-15 watts PEP and they run very well. Just cuz you can run 35W PEP doesn't mean you should!

Reactions: Brother DXer
Bingo ! You hit the nail on the head with this comment . DO NOT overdrive these and they work great. I would suggest not inputting more than 10-15 watts PEP and they run very well. Just cuz you can run 35W PEP doesn't mean you should!
Is this your experience with them?

I agree, 35 W PEP is definitely more than you need to run these. Keeping in mind, the info I'm posting is running SSB. I'm almost never on AM. But since putting my 503 HD inline, I've cautiously been doing some testing with input wattage and found the sweet spot at 20 W PEP and no more than 25. Again, I'll always error on the side of caution and stay around 20 PEP. This gets me 280 to 290 watts swing. 25 definitely gets it over 300 +.

Edit... I went back and tested 15 W PEP and got 250 from the amp. Not bad at all. I may just lower what I consider the sweet spot.

AM, as most people know is a different beast and you seriously have to be careful with the POWA...

Last edited:
Is this your experience with them?

I agree, 35 W PEP is definitely more than you need to run these. Keeping in mind, the info I'm posting is running SSB. I'm almost never on AM. But since putting my 503 HD inline, I've cautiously been doing some testing with input wattage and found the sweet spot at 20 W PEP and no more than 25. Again, I'll always error on the side of caution and stay around 20 PEP. This gets me 280 to 290 watts swing. 25 definitely gets it over 300 +.

Edit... I went back and tested 15 W PEP and got 250 from the amp. Not bad at all. I may just lower what I consider the sweet spot.

AM, as most people know is a different beast and you seriously have to be careful with the POWA...

Yes this is what I do. It's a lot easier on the gear this way(runs cooler) and The reduction in power only reduces the signal a slight amount,on the order of 2 or 3 db, Not noticeable to most stations

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.