• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy KLV-1000/P

Bow

Bastard Modulation Engineering
Aug 13, 2008
SouthWest AZ
reverendbow.wordpress.com
So, I just got a RM Italy KLV-1000/P in trade for an old Palomar Skipper 300A. I made that trade to a Local AM guy... I'm mainly a Sidebander anymore...

This is the 4 tube "High Drive" version.

I FINALLY found an Operators Manual for it that states the MAX drive is 120W for a 600-1400W output in Sideband...

I figure if I am looking for a max of 400-500 Watts out, I could make it cruise and last long time.

Has anyone every ran one of these amplifiers and have any thoughts on them? I like to run clean (with Audio), and not splatter.

Thanks for any input

I had the klv1000, same amp with a driver stage, my buddy had the 1000p, they both had 6П45С beam tetrodes,

To my ears they sounded like they were not biased correctly for ssb but some people gave good reports, my more critical eared friends agreed with me,

RM Italy's maximum input & output claims for their cb amplifiers are nonsense, they make about half what is claimed,
I cringe when I see people on forums claiming they run 20w ssb into their solid state rm's when half that input is pushing the amplifiers well into gain compression,

you should be OK @4-500w ssb peaks, i would resist the temptation to drive it as RM state.

If you put a good clean signal in it will sound good on the other side. Don't over drive and there won't be any splatter. Think "Garbage in stronger more powerful garbage out."
Let me know if you need parts. I have 4 of those and five of the five tube units.
Never Ever take the covers off of those units and turn them on. There is a safety interlock that will destroy your high voltage board. There are lethal voltages inside.
I had a company approach me about repairing them and when they refused to pay the bill I filed a mechanic's lien on them. It's been over two years so they are mine to do with as I choose.
The five tube units are low drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
If you put a good clean signal in it will sound good on the other side. Don't over drive and there won't be any splatter. Think "Garbage in stronger more powerful garbage out."
Let me know if you need parts. I have 4 of those and five of the five tube units.
Never Ever take the covers off of those units and turn them on. There is a safety interlock that will destroy your high voltage board. There are lethal voltages inside.
I had a company approach me about repairing them and when they refused to pay the bill I filed a mechanic's lien on them. It's been over two years so they are mine to do with as I choose.
The five tube units are low drive.

Thanks for the reply Tallman.

This is a 4 tuber, the manual says 120W Max In for 1400W Out... I figure that would be a nasty looking 1400W Signal..

Any ideas for a safe drive level for SSB use? I'm thinking 50 Watts?

So if you pull the cover with power on, it killer the HV Board? I pulled the cover and saw the switch (I have not plugged it in yet). Anyway around that, besides not pulling the cover with power on?

I'm not new to tube circuits and an very aware of the High Voltage that goes with them.

I had the klv1000, same amp with a driver stage, my buddy had the 1000p, they both had 6П45С beam tetrodes,

To my ears they sounded like they were not biased correctly for ssb but some people gave good reports, my more critical eared friends agreed with me,

RM Italy's maximum input & output claims for their cb amplifiers are nonsense, they make about half what is claimed,
I cringe when I see people on forums claiming they run 20w ssb into their solid state rm's when half that input is pushing the amplifiers well into gain compression,

you should be OK @4-500w ssb peaks, i would resist the temptation to drive it as RM state.
Bob,
Thank you very much for your input as well.
I ran a KLV300P solid state amp in my mobile for a number for years and yes, they don't like to be driven hard. For SSB use, I would keep the Mic Gain on my single final RSPY-485 at about 12:00 for it to be happy and sound good.

I figure the 400-500W output is good enough, because real operators know it takes 1600W to make the Receive needle jump any higher!

I am interested in your comment about the bias, is there anyway to improve it?

I am well aware of all the dangers of working with tube (valve) equipmen . But since I have about $75 invested in the amplifier I traded this one for, I could play with it a bit for improvement and not be out anything.

Thanks again,

I'm not new to tube circuits and an very aware of the High Voltage that goes with them.

Glad to hear it. People on here come in with all kinds of skill levels. Some very skilled and some not skilled at all. The only other caveat I would like to tell you if you bypass the interlock do not key a signal into the amp. You can "Cook" your self with RF.
It's cool to me that there is some one who is well versed in tube technology.
When I went through the Navy tech school my class was the last one that was being taught tubes. They focused more on the new fangled transistors and I.C.'s. The tubes were then only being taught in the "B" and "C" schools.
As far as safe drive levels of SSB drive it should be able to handle 120 watts P.E.P. of SSB drive.

Operator manual: http://www.cbradio.nl/rm/Manual_RM_KLV1000P_ENG_ITA.pdf
Service information: http://www.cbradio.nl/rm/ServiceManual_RM_KLV1000P_V4_ENG_ITA.pdf

Information for RMITALY other devices: http://www.cbradio.nl/rm/klv1000p.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Bow
Hey Bow, good to see you in here again. I ran the KLV 400 and still have a KLV 350 in my attic, but they are low drive units. VERY low drive. ;) Good luck with yours!

If you don't remember me, I'm the guy who bugged you about ESSB with your Icom IC-718. :)

Brett

Glad to hear it. People on here come in with all kinds of skill levels. Some very skilled and some not skilled at all. The only other caveat I would like to tell you if you bypass the interlock do not key a signal into the amp. You can "Cook" your self with RF.
It's cool to me that there is some one who is well versed in tube technology.
When I went through the Navy tech school my class was the last one that was being taught tubes. They focused more on the new fangled transistors and I.C.'s. The tubes were then only being taught in the "B" and "C" schools.
As far as safe drive levels of SSB drive it should be able to handle 120 watts P.E.P. of SSB drive.

Operator manual: http://www.cbradio.nl/rm/Manual_RM_KLV1000P_ENG_ITA.pdf
Service information: http://www.cbradio.nl/rm/ServiceManual_RM_KLV1000P_V4_ENG_ITA.pdf

Information for RMITALY other devices: http://www.cbradio.nl/rm/klv1000p.htm

Tallman,
Thanks for the links. I found mine is a Version 3.01.
I learned about tube and HV in the Navy A School, and mostly hand on when I was working on Heads Up Displays at my job in Texas. We ran 13kV and 9kV in those suckers...

Then I got into cooking up Tube guitar amps...

I'll have to see if I can find the proper biasing for the EL519...

Hey Bow, good to see you in here again. I ran the KLV 400 and still have a KLV 350 in my attic, but they are low drive units. VERY low drive. ;) Good luck with yours!

If you don't remember me, I'm the guy who bugged you about ESSB with your Icom IC-718. :)

Brett

How you doing Brett? Hell man, you were not bugging me, knowledge is no good if you don't share it with those with an interest!

I'm still running that IC-718 and the audio stuff in front... I just put a different mic on the front.

You still in Houston with the 27.395LSB crowd?

Edit: Actually I see you moved North!

Last edited:
I learned about tube and HV in the Navy A School, and mostly hand on when I was working on Heads Up Displays at my job in Texas. We ran 13kV and 9kV in those suckers...

What year for the Navy A school and at which training center?

How you doing Brett? Hell man, you were not bugging me, knowledge is no good if you don't share it with those with an interest!

I'm still running that IC-718 and the audio stuff in front... I just put a different mic on the front.

You still in Houston with the 27.395LSB crowd?

Edit: Actually I see you moved North!

Thanks! These days I mostly hanging out of 7.235 when I can. Lots of good guys all over Texas/Louisiana and Oklahoma there. Cool deal on the 718. I still have mine, but it's stock except for the Inrad 1.8 kHz filter.

Brett

Thanks! These days I mostly hanging out of 7.235 when I can. Lots of good guys all over Texas/Louisiana and Oklahoma there. Cool deal on the 718. I still have mine, but it's stock except for the Inrad 1.8 kHz filter.

Brett

Well, a 1.8kHz is MUCH better receiving in the Noise for DX, I will say that...

I don't have a antenna setup like I ran in Houston, all I'm running these days is a 1/4 Wave Homebrewed GroundPlane at 30' AGL for 11/10 Meters

Not like the 80/40/20/10 fan Inverted-V dipole I had in Houston at a 35' feedpoint, and a MACO 5/8 On top...

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated