• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy stinger board install on a Galaxy DX55hp

Buzzard78945

Feb 8, 2020
ok as the title says im hooking up a RM italy stinger board to a DX55HP

im having an issue figuring out where i need to put the shield of the coax at???
i have instructions to install on a cobra 29 ect but in those instructions it shows the shied going to the "ground" side of the board that the final is mounted to (im new please excuse my lack of knowledge) i know the final is insulated from that for sure... im still working on why that is caped to case (if someone could clarify that i would be appreciative)

My main question is where do i put the shield of coaxial leads to?

ALSO WHY DO I KEY THE RADIO AND I HAVE NO OUT PUT THEN RECEIVE GOES AWAY FOR A COUPLE SECONDS THEN COMES BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT GOOOOD... i can figure out that much on my own

Handy Andy please help

Reactions: Red 5

update my receive is poor i went to unscrew the coax antenna lead off the back of the radio and when i remove the screw part off of contacting the rear of the radio.. i have receive back again..

why would ungrounding the radio from coax bring my receive back????????

note... the amplifier in a cobra is mounted to a ground strip on the circuit board... i tried grounding the shied to that... which was the first location...

then i tried grounding the shied to the case same issue..

i really feel like im talking to my self now for sure... but i think i found an issue i dont yet know if its the issue for sure but i did some resistance checks on a different radio i have this board installed to and i found i have shield grounded to antenna circuit!!!!

shield should not have continuity to either input or output of the stinger board... if i have a shied shorted to the circuit its protecting has to be a major issue.. right?

response... right
(for the sake of me talking to myself) (y)(y)(y)

ok.... new update ( for myself ) i desoldered the shield from the ground circuit of the board on the ANT side connection and desoldered the shield from the RTX side of the board and im seeing no resistance from shield to shielded circuit... so i have a short somewhere else... to ground because the ground point on the board is 9k ohms to both ANT & RTX joints... ends up i have a short somewhere to ground on this stinger board fun fun fun

On the Stinger board both coax shields are grounded together, naturally. On the other ends of those pieces of coax, tie those shields together. Then tie them to the ground of the circuit board or chassis of the radio just like the coax is that’s coming from your antenna.

Make sure the board isn’t touching that heat spreader plate, look between the two. Probably not it and has nothing to do with jack, look for crappy solder job too.

What video did you see regarding the Cobra 29?

The "Stinger" NEEDS Board FOIL ground - not Case ground. The Speaker Clamshell is still INSULATED from the Boards own NEGATIVE return.

So either COAX shield (as in BOTH) needs to seek and be soldered to, the Foil Ground in the radio - not the back panel.

The Center of the OUT Coax (ANT) - then routes to the CENTER LEAD - per instructions to the ANT connector - UNLESS THEY TELL YOU different - so right now follow their instructions...

ANT to ANTENNA CENTER on the ANTENNA SO-239!

THE RTX wire? That is the one that COMES from the MAIN BOARD (from the output of the RADIO BEFORE IT GOES TO THE ANTENNA) The Jumper Wire going to the ANTENNA SO-239 - that's RF out (from radio) - goes INTO AMP RTX coax wire.

COAX SHIELD goes to any convenient spot for BOARD ground - NOT CASE - SHIELD TO FOIL BOARD GROUND. There are several lugs on rear panel of the 55 - DO NOT USE THEM - use the LARGE FOIL lands for NEGATIVE return your NEGATIVE BLACK lead of the Amp uses this same one. Only it's using the POWER connector Negative.

Guess I need to see their instructions on this - can you spare a pic or two so we can even see what you're up against?

See attached - I've redone a few Stingers due to mistakes so I can't supply a lot of documentation, this was supplied to help me sort those things out...

Attachments

• AD-203-STINGER.png
    AD-203-STINGER.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 6
  • AD-203-Stinger-Install.png
    AD-203-Stinger-Install.png
    596.2 KB · Views: 9
  • AD-203StingerBoard-PArtslist.jpg
    AD-203StingerBoard-PArtslist.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 6
  • AD-203-StingerSCH.png
    AD-203-StingerSCH.png
    593.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I think most Cobra 29’s have that ring around the coax socket and that does go to foil ground, right?

Doesn’t the foil/board ground also connect directly in a Galaxy to the chassis? Aren’t there solder tabs on the back of that radio connected to the chassis that gets soldered to the board?

Either way, yeah, both those coax shields from that amp board need to be tied together and tied to ground on the radio, the board not the power plug ground. But thinking of that, doesn’t that ground directly connect to the board and in turn connect to the chassis?

The air is thin on this Death Star

upload_2020-4-18_17-25-8.png

In a word, no...

Stock Radio? No, Strapped Radio? Perhaps...

The only real way to check, is to VERIFY that the SHIELD of the COAX is to the SAME as FOIL Ground - back at the Negative side of the Power connector.

You can also VERIFY Ground - between the Power Connector Negative and the LUGS mounted on the Heat sink.

Anything above 1 ohm - no...can't use it for ground...

upload_2020-4-18_17-47-35.png

When you do a continuity check on the back panels Negative Power lead to CASE - and it shows open - then you know...No.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.