• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rm KL-503

Jermflux

jbcruzin
Dec 16, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va
Picked one up to go with my forever delayed mobile project. I go to remote areas sometimes and really plan to use it for an emergency. I can't find much info about it, and was hoping someone here could give me their take on it. I am guessing it is a class c from what I have read. The radio I plan on using is not going to have SSB if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Class C belongs on AM they go hand in hand so you shouldnt have any trouble and it should all work fine for you. Just make sure your radio is setup properly dead key should be within 2 - 3 watts with 2 watts being the better choice.

OK, thanks! Makes me feel better that I didn't waste the money. It's really nice looking and seems built well. Now, I plan on installing this kind of hidden and out of sight. If I have it on level one which I am guessing is around 60 watts for an extended period of time are there any fire hazards I need to be concerned about? Should I install a computer case fan to it just in case?

OK, thanks! Makes me feel better that I didn't waste the money. It's really nice looking and seems built well. Now, I plan on installing this kind of hidden and out of sight. If I have it on level one which I am guessing is around 60 watts for an extended period of time are there any fire hazards I need to be concerned about? Should I install a computer case fan to it just in case?

Fire hazzard? No, but if you have installed it in a Ford pinto or a 1986 Chevy pickup...maybe.
The RM/KLV amps will fail if you overdrive, overuse, or just keep getting them hot....they are the lightest duty amplifiers on the market. Use a fan!

Fire hazzard? No, but if you have installed it in a Ford pinto or a 1986 Chevy pickup...maybe.
The RM/KLV amps will fail if you overdrive, overuse, or just keep getting them hot....they are the lightest duty amplifiers on the market. Use a fan!

all true. most of the overheating issuses is from overdriving
these units. 2 watt dk is the max these need . and im thinking
all rm/klv amps are class b or ab-1. at least ones i seen
and heard locally they use them on ssb. VERY clean sounding
most 10 meter radios overdrive them. a good old school cb
works the best with these.just my observations here locally

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.