• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rodger beep problem with my Galaxy 99v2

lolpetewtf

Sep 21, 2012
Sudbury, MA
My 99v2 is having an intermittent Rodger Beep problem.

I will be using the radio without problem whilst using talk back and RB. Then a minute later the RB will be cut in half, and the guy on the other end says he cannot hear a RB. This will continue a while then suddenly it will work again.

It does not matter if the radio is warmed up or cold. It just goes back and forth from working for 20 minutes to not working for 20 minutes.

Any ideas?

Dunno if the v2 version has the same layout and schematic as the non-v2 version. Never worked on one of the v2 versions yet.

Might look at tr33 if it is the same, as it is the roger beep osc transistor, perhaps a cold solder joint. Clean the RB switch. Check the wiring harness between the RB switch to the board; unplug it and re-plug it. Those connectors can be flaky sometimes. That should get you started. If it is still under warranty, just send to Galaxy . . .

Galaxy Radios DX99V Service Manual

99v_act.gif

Reactions: lolpetewtf
Galaxy will fix it under warranty. They understand people are going to convert the radio. Converting the radio will not void the warranty, unless you butchered it in the process.

I'd send it in as long as it's under warranty and you have your receipt.

Reactions: 5 people
Galaxy will fix it under warranty. They understand people are going to convert the radio. Converting the radio will not void the warranty, unless you butchered it in the process.

I'd send it in as long as it's under warranty and you have your receipt.

Agreed. It's almost as if they made the radio with the intention of it being converted to 10/11m isn't it. :whistle:

Reactions: 2 people
My 99v2 is having an intermittent Rodger Beep problem.

I will be using the radio without problem whilst using talk back and RB. Then a minute later the RB will be cut in half, and the guy on the other end says he cannot hear a RB. This will continue a while then suddenly it will work again.

It does not matter if the radio is warmed up or cold. It just goes back and forth from working for 20 minutes to not working for 20 minutes.

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem with the roger beep on my 99v2 in cold temperatures. If it's in the 20's or below my roger beep will be very faint or even sound like a buzz for several minutes until everything warms up. I never use a roger beep but I do check things from time to time. It will start out as a buzz then work it's way to a chirp then finally turn into a full roger beep. Only happens in cold weather. The modulation lamp likes to come on for no reason in extreme cold weather also. Not fully lit but enough to produce a slight glow even when not transmitting. After it warms up it goes back to normal. if my 980 wasn't so handcuffed I'd run it instead.

Cold weather made my 959's roger beep do the same thing until I moved it indoors where the temps are fairly constant. Now if they would only market heated cover for radios in the winter with an A/C plug.

Just curious to see how many galaxy owners have had some type of cold weather issues such as roger beep malfunction, modulation lamp malfunction, or other bugs. seems to be in the DNA of Galaxy alone with the drifting issues.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.