• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ROHN Allowable vs. Effective table help?

A couple things,

I will definitely echo the quality of Norms fabrications. I dealt with them for my 45g rotor plate. Nice people to deal with, reasonably priced and good quality.

If you are only going 30 ft with a 3 element and a vertical above that, I think 45g might be over kill. I don't know what kind of winds you deal with or ice but at only 30 ft with your wind load... 25g would probably suffice. With that said... If you would ever like to put a larger antenna in the future or add another 10 ft section (un guyed) you might want to go with 45.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
The Maco 103 is 3.99 sq ft and I don't know the load on the A99.. thinking 1.5 or less. So like 5.5 total for both.

The 25G says like 5.3 in 100 mph at 30' on the G sheet as shown on page 1 of this post.

So the AG3 top section would be out unless I get a shelf and add a bearing..

How do people get away with out a bearing on some of those setups??

Very conflicting.

You NEED something at the top to take the sideways bending away from the rotator. Usually that is done with a bearing however some operators successfully use a top section with a sleeve that the mast fits inside and freely rotates inside. It does the same thing. That AG3 top section will do the same thing. Using a bearing also will allow you take the weight off the rotator whereas the AG3 top section will not. This is not a concern with what you propose however as it is not very heavy at all. Once you start talking a couple hundred pounds of mast/antenna weight it is HIGHLY recommended to use a bearing but by then you would be far outside thew ratings of Rohn 25 anyway.

IMO......If you use a decent rotor and the AG3 I really don't think the thrust bearing is necessary. The downward force of the mast and 3 element / a99 shouldn't be all that much on a decent rotor. The nose cone will take away the side ways bending as Capt K mentioned.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
So the AG3 top section would be out unless I get a shelf and add a bearing..

How do people get away with out a bearing on some of those setups??

Very conflicting.

No the tapered top would not be useless but the thrust bearing allows for expansion
if you wish to put a bigger beam or stack a 6 meter or vhf antenna up there.
Plan for the future not the present.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated