• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Roof mount antenna on pickup

cgeib

Sep 23, 2012
Thanks everyone that has taken the time to contribute feedback on this forum! After many years of no radio I am getting new one and I appreciate the information here that has helped me to better understand what I need for getting an antenna installed and performing well.

However, I am still not 100% on all the pieces interacting together and wonder if I could get some feedback if I should make changes to my planned configuration:

Installing CB and Antenna in 2008 Chevy Crew Cab Long Bed with fiberglass cap.

CB:
-Galaxy DX 959
-RF Limited CR577 Mic
-radio will be tuned
-chassis will be grounded

Planned antenna configuration/mount:
Roof Mount, centered
-BleedLove Puck Mount & Reinforcing backing plate
-BleedLove Quick Disconnect
-Heavy Duty Spring
-Wilson 2000 Trucker w/10" Bottom Shaft
-18' coax

Accessories:
-SWR Meter
-Possible external speaker

What deficiencies exist in the antenna configuration? …and what changes would you recommend?

What SWR meters are recommended? Which should I avoid?

Reactions: Slowmover

I have a Wilson 5000 roof mounted on a 2012 Chevy crew cab...less than a 1.1:1 SWR across all 40 channels.

Q2VudHJlLTIwMTIwNjAyLTAwMjA5LmpwZw.jpg

It is very easy to install a Wilson on the roof of a crew cab...it can be done in less than 30 minutes. The key is to remove the interior cab light from the headliner. There is a lot of space between the roof and headliner.

number 4

wilson k1000 mag mount on 95 chevy 1/2 ton galaxy 95t with 4 pill amp and
would not use any thing else. the truck like this combo.<can not stand it><can not stand it><can not stand it><can not stand it><More audio><More audio><More audio>:D:D:D

Thank you all again for helping on my prior setup!

Bumping this old thread as a new truck is on the way and want to see if there are any different recommendations on a clean slate before punching holes.

New configuration:
2020 Sierra 3500 CrewCab Longbed with fiberglass cap.

Will frequently have travel trailer in tow. Travel trailer is 9’9” H x 8’W x 30’L height is to roof deck with A/C, vents etc protruding above that. Construction is steel undercarriage and aluminum stud framing wrapped in insulation, fiberglass, etc.

Current radio is Yeticom Optima.

Current antenna is Sirio Performer 5000 on Breedlove puck mount.

Is center mount on top of the cab still the best location on balance with travel trailer?
Any antenna or mount location changes to consider when towing?
For example: Would top load perform better with trailer?
Other considerations or recommendations?

Searching returns generally that taller and top load performs best, yet pickup cab roof mounting seems to recommend base load & stainless whip. Best I can gather is at these heights a stainless whip tolerates impacts better? Yet, common to see pictures of dual fiberglass antennas on headache racks at similar top of cab mounting height.

Thank you!

Reactions: Slowmover
Thank you all again for helping on my prior setup!

Bumping this old thread as a new truck is on the way and want to see if there are any different recommendations on a clean slate before punching holes.

New configuration:
2020 Sierra 3500 CrewCab Longbed with fiberglass cap.

Will frequently have travel trailer in tow. Travel trailer is 9’9” H x 8’W x 30’L height is to roof deck with A/C, vents etc protruding above that. Construction is steel undercarriage and aluminum stud framing wrapped in insulation, fiberglass, etc.

Current radio is Yeticom Optima.

Current antenna is Sirio Performer 5000 on Breedlove puck mount.

Is center mount on top of the cab still the best location on balance with travel trailer?
Any antenna or mount location changes to consider when towing?
For example: Would top load perform better with trailer?
Other considerations or recommendations?

Searching returns generally that taller and top load performs best, yet pickup cab roof mounting seems to recommend base load & stainless whip. Best I can gather is at these heights a stainless whip tolerates impacts better? Yet, common to see pictures of dual fiberglass antennas on headache racks at similar top of cab mounting height.

Thank you!

My rig is a longbed diesel (Leer cap) pulling a 35’ all-aluminum TT of about the same height. It wouldn’t occur to me to want the lesser performance of anything but a roof center mount. (What height is up to you. On the Peterbilt I use 14’, but am aware of and plan for never less than 13’5”).

A 7’ PRESIDENT Texas on mine is just short of 13’. (I may use a quarter-wave, or a 7’ Skipshooter as well as others that are shorter).

Your gear is about as good as it gets. (Upgrade to WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER; see that thread).

Details (vehicles are getting more difficult).
The Mobile Install Bible:

(link)

www.k0bg.com

And, the DC ground for the TT is the hitch ball. REESE makes a hitch grease that is electrically-conductive (you could supplement that with a dedicated ground wire). Static control, also, IMO.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback Slowmover!

I will check out the Clearspeaker.

I was not looking to compromise. More looking to see if adjustments might be in order when tugging the box around. I suppose going above seems reasonable:) Will see if I can decipher K0bg

Agreed they are making vehicles more difficult. Looks as though this truck will be ok - though I could certainly be proven wrong. I have been digesting the Upfitter schematics while waiting delivery and I think bringing in good power and ground will be doable. Yet to be seen on routing, but hoping I can get access for installing mount and routing coax without too much difficulty.

Yes, learned trailer grounding lessons decades ago! Our setup uses a dedicated ground circuit through what I know as a 7 way Bargman style connector. Works very well. We have a Hensley style hitch and I cannot imagine ever getting a ground through that mechanism! Extremely pricey units but they tow very nicely.

Last edited:
Agreed on Hensley-patent hitch. Pickup has too many problems at speed and towing but worsens them.

Antilock disc brakes for the TT is the other piece (Tuson Corp) besides Tor-Flex axles (independent suspension).

Reactions: cgeib
Tuson system looks very nice! Thank you.

See the review at MR TRUCK. Kent did a nice write-up after some expensive comparison testing.

The (ultra expensive) horse hauling crowd is his audience. Cowboy vibe all the way.

The men I know who have it (Airstream trailers) know what I know with a tractor-trailer with disc from front to rear: There is no comparison. GC Croyle did a nice write-up at AIR.

Zanetti Trailer Repair known for installations.

The DC Ground thru the ball & 7-way would be complemented by an RF Bond.

Some of the tankers I used to pull had a bond we’d attach next to the fifth wheel (swiveled with trailer). Different than the DC ground.

K0BG is expansive on the subject of bonding.

See also static control

With all the Breedlove mounts and accessories you're using, you can't put a turd on it.

Hi Mudfoot,

What would you recommend?

At this point I have a Sirio 5000 and a Yeticom Optima that I can move from my existing pickup to the new one - or not. I will leave the existing Breedlove mount and coax with the current vehicle when sold.

Thus, I am starting from scratch with wiring, coax, mount, etc when the new vehicle arrives and could replace the antenna also if it is a turd.

The DC Ground thru the ball & 7-way would be complemented by an RF Bond.

Some of the tankers I used to pull had a bond we’d attach next to the fifth wheel (swiveled with trailer). Different than the DC ground.

Yep, I get it!

Liquid or dry bulk? We used to have a transload operation for ethanol and methanol from rail to truck, but no longer. Now do a lot of dry bulk transfer from bulk hopper car to hopper truck as well as packaging of plastics. Moving plastic pellets in a vessels and thru transfer lines does a fine job of creating static {understatement}. We incorporate both bonding and grounding in our systems.

Thanks for the pointers to more data on Tuson's products!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.