• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Routing coax into existing hole in wall

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
I was looking at buying from Amazon the rg8x 100ft coax cable, then realized that the existing hole in the wall to my room probably wont accommodate the pl259 end, hence I'd have to cut off the end and re solder once cable is fished into room via existing hole.

Is there any other options, I recall the Wilson 1000 pl259 connection unscrews making the cable easier for smaller holes while routing in vehicles. Do they sell something similar in 100 feet lengths? What is that type of connector callee that unscews?

Cheers

Why no just get a double ended SO-239 to fill the hole. Like this - https://www.radioworld.ca/double-so239-12inch.

Hi brother, love the Avatar BTW.

I didn't make myself clear, sorry. Typing in excess of 200 wpm on a korean device induces gramatical errors ;-)

What's going on is that I'm basically wanting to use an existing hole in the wall to feed coax, which is currently occupied by a cable tv outlet. Cable tv is no longer available in my home. Hence I merely want to remove their socket and use the left over hole that leads to the outside for my coax. Trouble is, I didnt want to cut the end of the coax if I could buy something similar to what comes with the Wilson 1000 coax. Isn't it? ;-)

Valid point . My soldering skills are a few notches higher than those folks who solder ranger microphones, that i can assure you lol. Which means grade level D+ in my books hehe

Rg8x is a breeze. Twist the shield into 2 separate pieces and pull it through 2 holes in the pl259 as you push the center conductor through...It takes some practice. Tin the ends first so you can bend them as needed and not have stray strands shorting out the connector.

Pull it all through, tighten the reducer, trim and solder everything. Then leave it setting on the table until it's cool so you don't damage the insulation around the center conductor. Use a beefy pencil type iron. No guns or little 15 watt irons. A micro torch works great but requires some practice.

Is there any other options...
images

A lot of different antenna and cable assemblies have that. A couple of VHF/UHF mobile antennas and cable assemblies I have came with those on the ends. Your best bet is still learn to solder a good connection however. I have not bought a ready-made coax assembly in more then 30 years.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.