• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Royce 1-606 Restoration

sunbulls

Apr 25, 2017
With our Royce dealership, the 606 and the 600 was among the early 23ch radios we sold. Except for size and features, both had similar 37Mhz crystal matrix circuits. Royce also used two transformers in their audio chain. One thing you could say about their electrical engineers, for better or worse, they designed circuits their way without cloning other manufactures. Although a failure IMO, I give them credit for being the first 23ch CB radio that had a channel switching mic. Good intention, but the solenoid /ratchet scheme only permitted the channel selector to move in a clockwise direction. They promoted it as a safety feature, but again, IMO it did the opposite. Unless you were directly facing the radio, the channel numbers were difficult to see. As in the past, I removed the solenoid and associated relay in the ones I recently restored. That eliminated the excess wear and tear on the channel selector, let alone aggravation. A larger knob was also added to the channel selector. The original knob was more about looks. The diameter of the original knob was too small to provide adequate torque for turning comfortably. After others seen what I did with mine, we offered the customers the same mod that considered buying these radios. The push button channel selector on the radio also provided an ideal spot for a DPDT toggle for extra crystals.

The following is few photos of the front, insides, ads, and mod comparisons. After working on many of these in our shop, pages were torn and repaired with tape that yellowed over time. After recently seeing this mess, I decided to completely redraw the schematic. The manual was also enhanced.
Royce 1-606 front.jpg
Comparison Extra Channels mod .JPG
Royce 1-606 Sales Leaflet.jpg

On the back side of this "Country Road- Big Rig Hits" (1976) vinyl album you will see the 606 featured. The album is a collection of popular songs during C.W. McCall’s Convoy period. YouTube has a copy.

Attachments

• Royce 1-606 service manual.pdf
    15 MB · Views: 3
  • Royce 1-606 schematic.JPG
    Royce 1-606 schematic.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Country Road- Big Rig Hits.jpg
    Country Road- Big Rig Hits.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 10

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.