• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Royce 1-642 Base Station

3pinplug

Jul 23, 2016
Hi all
Over in the UK and have just got a Royce 1-642 that needs a little work. It has the wooden sides missing and the top and no TX.
Would anyone have a copy off the Sams alignment info at all, unfortunately their something that wedont have over here.
Also looking for an owners manual as well to get to grips with the clock function.
Thanks
Mark

IIRC, ExitThirteen had a radio like this. Probably knows a lot bout it as far as tune-up info goes. Have yet to see a schematic for it. Did you try the Sams manual site yet? You can download it for ~$10-$20 from there if they have it.

diagram for somerkamp 340 is very close to what the 1-642 is

to expand the channels forget any of the rubbish you read on the net go to funkservice and get the somerkamp 340 conversion pll from him..i have one in one of my 1-642 units ..3 export bands +nz40 (four bands) + 5khz up and +10khz up
he can program the pll module to have what bands you like..so if you want uk 40 he can do it (of course you would have no fm)
been running mine for 5 years now and no issue still have a spare module i have yet to put in one of the 1-642 units i have

http://funkservice.at/en_pll-modul.htm

Reactions: tecnicoloco and BBB
Hope you get it going. The Royce 642 is one of my favorite base CB transceivers.

It's based off of the Royce 639 mobile CB main board. Secret CB Vol 13 pg24, Vol 26 pg 35-41 and vol 27 pg51 all reference mods to the 639/642 radios. The schismatic for the 639 can be found here:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/royce/1_639/graphics/royce_1-639_sch.pdf

aLrACKV.jpg

Reactions: Unit 194 and Robb
Thanks Yeti for the link looks an interesting mod, and fairly easy to do as well the fitting guide is very good.

Thanks BBB yes i really like this radio i will probably do some more posts as itneeds a fair bit of work i am missing the wooden sides and metal top so going to have to make those.
Regards
Mark

one thing i will say is his pdf file lacks a important change that needs to be done to fully get advanage of his pll module ..
when i did ours the radio had weak rx/tx down the 26mhz range (no amount of retuning would fix) and its all due to a bandpass filter block thing you have to take out and replace with a cap..
i told him about it and he told me the fix which is good however i said to him at the time it may pay to add that to his pdf file (germans also use 26mhz)
i see he has not done this and its been a few years...however as it was oringnally a 3 band modlue and i requested a forth band to meet my needs it did extend the modules range beyond what he qoutes on his site ..
he did however say at the time it could do more just not enuff pins for band switching on the module.

i have installed his modules in the likes of uniden pc122 and pro640e (with similar band setup to what i ordered for our 1-642 units) and they were great ..best solution ever for these so called no modifiable radios

Reactions: tecnicoloco
one thing i will say is his pdf file lacks a important change that needs to be done to fully get advanage of his pll module ..
when i did ours the radio had weak rx/tx down the 26mhz range (no amount of retuning would fix) and its all due to a bandpass filter block thing you have to take out and replace with a cap..
i told him about it and he told me the fix which is good however i said to him at the time it may pay to add that to his pdf file (germans also use 26mhz)
i see he has not done this and its been a few years...however as it was oringnally a 3 band modlue and i requested a forth band to meet my needs it did extend the modules range beyond what he qoutes on his site ..
he did however say at the time it could do more just not enuff pins for band switching on the module.

i have installed his modules in the likes of uniden pc122 and pro640e (with similar band setup to what i ordered for our 1-642 units) and they were great ..best solution ever for these so called no modifiable radios

Would you mind pointing how to do the mod to the BP?

I have a PLL Module installed in a Royce 639 from Ing. Maurer

Also more Modules in a Cobra 1000GTL,TRC-451,Cobra 89 GTL,Uniden 78,TRC-457

Thanks
Tecnicoloco

Would you mind pointing how to do the mod to the BP?

I have a PLL Module installed in a Royce 639 from Ing. Maurer

Also more Modules in a Cobra 1000GTL,TRC-451,Cobra 89 GTL,Uniden 78,TRC-457

Thanks
Tecnicoloco

maybe same for 639 as for the other radios they dont have the same circuit so a moot point
if i feel bored in the next day or two will take a pic of the part of circuit and the actual part to change
mike

well in my 40 tb+ of mod files and pics i have taken over a 30+ year span i found the pic i took the day i modded the radio ..also a extract of the email he sent to me (bear in mind english is his second tounge )

"remove C110 (39nF) (sometimes not there ) and, if assembled, C127 (0.47uF).

This is part of the loop filter, because in this version of the pll module the loopfilter is already on the board.

move c116 to underside of mother board *(to make room for the module)
replace c123 (15pf) with 4.7pf
remove fl3 and replace with 103 disc cap (f3)

add 4.7pf cap as per pdf file"

that above ONLY if you use his module in the 642 ..not sure on 639 and variants

remove fl3 and replace with 103 disc cap.JPG
the filter is basically a highpass filter that cuts off the tx/rx below 26.6 or so ..fairly fast
as my module was setup to include the 26.330-26.770 mhz new zealand band i had to do the mod..

this is for the 1-642 i had a quick look at the 639 diagram but did not see it but then again i didnt look hard either ..tired and old and yeah you get the pic

if you only use the fcc and above bands you will not need to do this part of mod (if its on the board in the first place)

the cap goes across the two outer holes (center hole is a earth ) the thing is black in color ..i still have it around in the cupboard of doom but cant get to cupboard at this point

not sure whats inside it i am thinking some sort of cap/rfc combo as a highpass config but dont qoute me on that

mike

Last edited:
Mike
Thanks for sharing i was going to ask how you do it and then found your great post!
Dont suppoae you have the alignment for the radio at all
Many thanks
Mark

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.