• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RT systems or G4HFQ:VMWare

Terence Dodge

KF7DXM
Aug 12, 2009
Portland, Or
Howdy

Trying to connect VX-8r via RT cable to (software) running in a emulator.

Anyone ever see either of the software tools running under XP installed under VMWare Fusion ( Macintosh flavor of VMWare tools software ). I have the RT cable which is recognized by both the macbook and the XP running within Fusion, however when checking the "COM PORT 1" I get the "feed back loop" message indicating that according to RT web page it is not there. XP sees it ( the cable ) but not the software.

Any thoughts, other than loose the mac...

Terence
KF7DXM

I've never found anything useful from dxportal.com, it is usually one of the first hits in a search. But maybe I have not looked into it very well.

I am interested in the progress you make with the ADMS-VX8 on Mac OS X, keep us updated.

VX-8r & G4HFQ

The mystery thickens ( for me, a seldom user of windows software ), so after some help from my NET ( local CERT ) team leader ( HAM operator ), we loaded my local ARES frequencies into my VX-8r via his laptop and my RT cable.

So I fired up my VMWare Fusion ( ver 2.0.5 ), with Win XP Pro service pack 3 and and who knows how many security updates later. I launch G4HFQ, launch FTDI cable detector, follow instructions, ( it finds the cable, EURKEA ), save and exit.

Read radio button is selected ( follow instructions ). It reads the radio, I save the file ( several places ). I exit. reflect on this a bit. Now I will mode the file and see if I can contact the VX-8r again.

What is different?

Hello

Other than slowing down to read carefully the directions ( G4HFQ ), I ran the detect FTDI cable. Which worked and exited saving changes.

I have now made a couple of cosmetic changes ( labeled Banks with Names ) and have written back to the radio. And I can find the changes, minor as they are.

Now I saved a couple of local FM stations, but they did not show up when I read ( cloned ) the radio back to a new file.

So Mr New guy has a lot to learn. I may check out a different cable and if it works and I cannot get the RT software install problem resolved ( I do realize that I am not within the "pale" with trying to install windows software and expecting it to work easily ) I will flog the RT software and cable on my local Craig's list.

Thanks for your work by the way with all the radios you seem have or borrow, Very informative ( I do not understand much of what I read yet, however I do hold out hope for myself ).

Terence

I am running VMWare Fusion on a Mac with an XP SP3 virtual, with a 3rd party cable that I bought from ebay. I have had no problems other than occasionally having to tell the G4HFQ software what port I am using again.

I did learn that if you mod the VX-8R that you will have to change the radio type from US HAM to US EXT. This is done just to the right of the button that says MEM/BANK/BOTH.

Anybody use the RT software with Parallels emulating a PC running XP under a Mac?

I want to order the RT software, but would sure like to use my Macbook Pro instead of my old funky XP machine.

Thanks,

- Mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.