• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RT Systems Software for Yaesu VX-8r Review

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I got the RT Systems software in last night and had a few minutes to play with it tonight. I'll do a more thorough review later, but for now some quick hits.

First off...this is the best programming software for an HT that I've ever used. At my day job, I've personally designed complex enterprise software applications that are still in use by my company, and I like to think I'm pretty good at it. That said, I usually tell people that I think most software for ham radio is crap, for various reasons. Some notable exceptions: Ham Radio Deluxe (superb!), MixW (an advanced application) and I now add RT Systems stuff to the list of good software.

This software is really good. I've also used various applications for the Kenwood THF-6a and various Icom applications. I've never liked any of them.

The application has a familiar Excel look and feel to it, which makes it easy to just jump in and start using. I had prepared an Excel spreadsheet of 2m frequencies for SoCal and saved it as a CSV file. I then used the import function in RT Systems and to my surprise, it gave me a wizard that let me pick each data element in the CSV file and match it with a column in the RT Systems application. It couldn't have been easier. The communication with the radio was flawless and after a few edits, I had the entire list of 164 2 meter repeaters programmed on my radio.

One note: There are a few Excel functions (Find and Replace, for example) that Excel has that may make it easier to use as a data entry application for the VX-8, and then import the file to the RT Systems application. Regardless, I think people will be very happy with this software and programming cable.

I'll get some print screens of the software posted and some pictures of the cable, as well as some more detailed reviews of some specific areas of functionality.

I've attached a couple of screen shots of the main parts of the application. You can get an idea of how intuitively simple the application is. You can also adjustall the radio settings from this application. This sure is faster than doing it manually. The application also has tabs that show the pre-programmed Marine, SW, and weather frequencies although you can't change them.

And finally! I have a way to Delete memories!

Attachments

• rtsystems1.jpg
    rtsystems1.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 453
  • rtsystems2.jpg
    rtsystems2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 405
YEA!

I just got my software too. I judge software by how much I am allowed to concentrate on the task at hand, and NOT trying to get the software to accomplish the task. RT systems has a winner here. Well designed and intuitive. I agree with you Moleculo, it is great to be able to delete memories! This software is a must have.

RT Systems Software for Yaesu VX-8R

Does it handle a MARS/CAPP modded radio? I'm MARS rated and before I drop the hammer on this one I'd like to know if I have to program it manually or not. :unsure:

I didn’t know this existed or I would have made a post earlier.

ME: I am a newbie at HAM at this point, but I am an accomplished computer geek. This being the case I am going to use excel terms and I had high expectation, but low needs of this software.

Software review:
This software is GREAT. It has a simplistic feel, to do complicated stuff in background. The menus make since (even to a newbie). I don’t have to go multiple levels down in multiple windows to do anything. It pre-populates the areas as needed. For items which are standard, it has pull down windows.

Side notes:
It runs on Windows Vista.

It knew when I made a MOD to the radio. This meant I needed to re-enter some data into a new workbook. I assume I could have exported my freqs. in CSV format and imported them, but I didn’t think of that at the time.

I can have multiple workbooks up at the same time. I can copy complete lines from one workbook to another.

I can dump the special banks into CSV format for review editing, and import them into general memory.

I wish I could alter some of the special banks, but that is a problem with the radio not the software. (Should try this with SW, before I totally write this off.)

If someone wants CSV files for MURS, FRS, GMRS, Marine freqs, send me an email address and I will sent them to you. I added the freqs. the other night and labeled each of the channels intelligently. I have a partial CB list and may finish it sometime in the future.

Last edited:
I've had the ADMS software for a couple months now and it works great. I can't think of a single negative about it.

RT System software has been good to me

Moleculo
I have and used RT Sytems software on FT-1500,FT-8800,FT-7800,FT-60,VX-170,FT-8900,FT-897 AND FT-857. I hope I'm not leaving anything out. I give the software a 99.75%.
One note with all RT software READ THE RADIO FIRST. This elimates most writing to the radio problems.
Fuzzybr
KC9BUH
WQFR960

Last edited:
Negative Comment

It doesn't have a way of reviewing/changing APRS settings.

Unhappy because it dropped my APRS setting.

Does the software come with the necessary cable?

If so, then I don't need to purchase the "Cloning Cable" from Yaesu?

What is the Yaesu "Cloning Cable" for?

Thanks (just learning),

- Mike

Does the software come with the necessary cable?

If so, then I don't need to purchase the "Cloning Cable" from Yaesu?

What is the Yaesu "Cloning Cable" for?

Thanks (just learning),

- Mike

If you buy the ADMS-VX8 software from RT Systems, it will include the programming cable. The cloning cable is for cloning (copying the data) from one radio to another by connecting the two radios together.

Undo not working ADM

I just started with the RT Systems software for the VX-8DR, v.4.01.22.

The undo function doesn't seem to be working for me (XP SP3). I just had to abandon some edits, because I accidentally typed over some entries while switching screens.

Does undo work for anyone else?

Thanks.
--Rob

I just started with the RT Systems software for the VX-8DR, v.4.01.22.

The undo function doesn't seem to be working for me (XP SP3). I just had to abandon some edits, because I accidentally typed over some entries while switching screens.

Does undo work for anyone else?

Thanks.
--Rob

I've got the same setup as you (v.4.01.22 / WinXP Home SP3) and just tried it. Changed some frequencies, tried to undo. Changed the name tags, tried to undo...

Couldn't undo in either case -- either with CTRL-Z or EDIT --> UNDO.

Interesting. Well, you're not the only one. I've also put in a request to RT-Systems to add a "find duplicate" option. Sure, I can sort by frequency, name, what have you -- but I'd like to be able to quickly search for duplicates to get rid of. Doesn't hamper me in any way, just a "would be nice to have" feature.

Anyway -- I've been able to duplicate what you're experiencing.

RT systems VX-8Dr, no undo

Interesting. Well, you're not the only one
Anyway -- I've been able to duplicate what you're experiencing.

Thank you for the quick confirmation. I hope this is just a minor bug. I can't believe this software wouldn't have undo.

73 w2rct

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.