• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SAND KICKED IN MY FACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2012
The other day while asking for local information on my CB radio, It became apparent to me that I wasn't being heard. What! I was being walked on by other radios with amps. So I turned my amp on. I use a Texas star 500. I thought now I'll be heard, but no. Somebody was keying all over me and twice on Sunday. I felt like the proverbial skinny Guy on the beach who gets sand kicked in his face by the big muscle bound bully. So I decided to do something about it....I upgraded. Now don't get me wrong, I don't typically let others be the catalyst that helps me to facilitate change, but in all honesty it was a little humiliating getting stepped on, especially when I thought I was doing some real keying down. Please. That little Texas star might have been OK in the 80's but not today. Every Tom Dick and Red head it seems has RG 217 coming out their antenna. So now I'm thinking 8 or 2×8 or 12 pill. Fatboy or davemade. And since I can't upgrade this 125 amp alternator, because its a company truck, then I'll get a maul. Mauls ain't that bad...beats getting sand kicked in your face. Two thirds folks I'm out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person

It happens here in the southeast when DX rolls in and the usuals out west are doing 9 s-units + all day long and no one seems to hear us eastern folk except for those who run power and seem to be in the right geographical location to shoot skip consistently on a regular basis. {Cry_river}

Last edited:
You can do the "I need a Bigger amp" forever and at times you will still not win the game.
Take it from a Guy that used to run a 16 in the truck, even if you upgrade to a 8, a 12 or a 16..Mother nature rules the roost and if she decides that the guy in North Dakota has better conditions, that is what it is.
In a mobile environment you are limited to the antenna system that you can run, cant change physics.

After playing radio for a while, I firmly believe that a well tuned radio and 4 2897`s is just about the best plug and play mobile setup you can run.
And Skip the 1X4 or 2X4 ........ you still have only 4 transistors in the final section of the amp, and all you do is create more heat, draw more current and cause more problems that you have to sort through.
As has already been said, Mauls are a Band-aid, if your company will not let you upgrade the Alt on the truck, wait until you start running multiple cables down to the battery box..........

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Sure. I don't need an amp to talk skip when the conditions are just right. Its all about propagation right? Of course I can be heard nationwide with my 45 Watt radio on channels 11 and 15 right? My ability to talk skip is equal to that of the Guy who is running 2500 Watts right? RIGHT? GTFOH! Here's what I purchased. I stopped by Buffalo NY and hollered at an old friend. Mr BlackAlCapone. I picked up one of his upgraded versions of the BlackAlCapone antenna ( I've had mad success in the past with these) Then I bought a brand spanking new 2×8 fatboy high drive and a 4amp XForce maul. I stopped by a place in Richmond VA and picked up 3 Group 31 semi batteries. Then stopped at a shop In Florida that sells coax. So I bought 50 ft of rg 217 and just out of curiosity I also bought 50 ft of LMR 400 .I figured 50 feet should be plenty. Then I went to Jewett Automation in Richmond VA the fine folks at jewett automation, custom made me a stainless steel mounting bracket that attaches to the grab bar behind the tractor and extends around the side of the tractor. Very aesthetic. A few other minor things were needed but I got them later. I then went to a well know tech who installs this type of stuff. He did an outstanding job hooking it all up. I can be heard on 22, 15 and 11 these are the channels I monitor. Money that I made paid for this. And I am very happy now. I would like to send a shout out to all of the people who genuinely tried to help me. Thanks guys. And to the haters. Let the hate begin.

That's how you do it. You live your life. Because contrary to popular belief you wont get a posthumous gift of a second life. You get one life. So you better enjoy it. Eat good food, make love to beautiful women, have money and never be afraid to spend it, you can't take it with you. I'm having a ball. I
50 years old and this is just the beginning. # Doinmeandlovingeveryminuteofit.

Now please step aside.

Did someone get upset? Maybe in the free time spend some of that money on xanax??? Just kiddin and having fun.

I dont know about anyone else, but posts #7 and 8 confused the hell out of me :confused:

What you have here is someone hyperextending his shoulder patting himself on the back. With a Wilson 5000 mag mount on the roof of my pickup, I'll cut his radio slap off with a 2 x 2290 amp driving a 4 x 2879 amp on 14 volts.

Hey it's all in good fun. If he's happy and I am sure made the people that took his money happy..then that's all that really matters.

I think what confused me the most is the timeline for all this. I saw the original, unedited first post bemoaning the "not being able to get out" which was at 5pm yesterday. So if i read the following posts correctly he went from Buffalo....to Richmond.....to Florida....then back to Richmond to get it all installed.....all in less than 24 hours.....ummmm......what?

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.