• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Saw this radio for sale...

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
Saw this radio for sale and what caught my interest was the price. Bell's CB has it for $140.00.

img_1652-1.jpg

Looking down the list of features it appeared to have what you would expect in a radio with some Amateur radio features as well. Bell's listing says it's 10 thru 12 meters. I like the color LCD display which is something you might see more of with all radios. Although small and compact, it appears easy to read but with no knobs except VFO (IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT THAT), It could be a programming nightmare with multiple function buttons for all basic controls and any menu functions.

I was almost sold on it until I noticed...NO SSB!!!

This radio is only AM/FM.

Sorry Stryker, you struck out with this one for me and I would imagine many others.

I have a Maxlog 8900 that I got from a forum member. Had to fix a few things on it; no big deal. But one thing I can say about a radio that uses a real processor rather than a PLL chip, is that SSB is very stable with practically no drift. Modern Ham rigs use the same parts and attain similar accuracy, if not better.

Looks like the same factory that has been making cheap 2m ham radios is also designing and building this Stryker thing - JMHO.

Would still like to find a Service Manual for the Maxlog 8900 - tho. Sure would like to see how it will perform with a solid tune-up . . .

Actually a very short list, any true amateur transceiver is going to perform better than any export on SSB...
That is true. You just didn't mention amateur transceivers in your post. I thought you were comparing an export radio that is sold by an export manufacturer in this export forum to other export radios. See how that can be slightly deceiving?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.