• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SB-200 Tube Replacement Procedure

tba02

WOOF
Jan 26, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I would like to replace the tubes in my SB-200, but I want to make sure I do it safely.
I have done the reading and know there are lethal voltages etc., but I have not been able to find walk through anywhere on the internet.

The amp has a Harbach PM-200 power supply module installed. It also has the soft-start and soft-key installed.

Here's my understanding of the process.
  • Disconnect from power and ensure it can't be connected to power until completed.
  • Allow voltage to dissipate, understanding that the HV reading on the meter may or may not be accurate and voltage may still remain even though it reads zero.
  • Open case, remove cage to allow access to the internals.
  • At this point all steps are a one handed operation with the other hand in back pocket to avoid creating a circuit that could lead to a very bad day.
  • Using a chicken/jesus/oh-sh*t/capacitor discharge stick*, bleed off any potential high voltage from the power supply capacitors (and any other large caps?).
  • Remove anode clips.
  • Remove tubes.
  • Install tubes, anode caps, and reverse the rest of the above steps.

Assuming the above is correct, questions:
Looking at the original schematics and construction manual it would appear that the HV plate wire is a large blue wire (which is I confirmed is still as originally built) and connects to "H" on the Harbach PS module (diagram attached).
  • I would use the chicken stick to dissipate HV at connection point "H"
    • - are there any other areas or capacitors that I should be concerned about?
  • Should I then remove the anode clips using insulated handle pliers, or is it better to remove the RF chokes from the door knob capacitor and then remove the clips?
  • Gently remove and replace tubes (soft cloth, no greasy fingers etc.)

Moving on, I have two options for tubes, some used, tested, and been sitting for unknown period Cetrons and also new Taylor/RF Parts tubes.
Once the new tubes are in place what is the best next steps as I have seen conflicting information (gettering).
  • Do I not connect the anode clips, bring power to the tuibes and run them for 8-12 hours?
  • Do I connect the anode clips, re-assemble and use a variac (I really would prefer not to have to find a variac)?
  • Do I re-assemble completely and let it run for a while before transmitting?
  • Does it matter that one set is new as of 6 months ago and the other set has been on the shelf for xx years?

So what am I missing? Where am I lacking? Comments or criticisms?

*When building a chicken stick, is a resistor recommended or not? I was thinking a single ~40k 3-5 watt resistor would be in the ball park were I to use one.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Harbach_PM-200_wiring.PNG
    Harbach_PM-200_wiring.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 300

This instructional video shows how to prep the tubes prior to removal. You want to make sure the t00bs have definitely failed. Notice the tech uses the back of his finger to tap the t00bs, not the front, so as to keep his finger prints intact in case the glass envelope shatters exposing the high voltage internal components within the t00b.

*Note: For Non-Educational Comedic use only.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
This instructional video shows how to prep the tubes prior to removal. You want to make sure the t00bs have definitely failed. Notice the tech uses the back of his finger to tap the t00bs, not the front, so as to keep his finger prints intact in case the glass envelope shatters exposing the high voltage internal components within the t00b.

*Note: For Non-Educational Comedic use only.

Those tubes are not simply low on emissions but rather look like they have a grid/plate short happening.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.