• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SBE Console VI (6) insight help

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Okay I've got a SBE Console VI that needs help with the channel button selecting. Basically it's sticking on 1 channel so I've been told and want the best easy route to fix this, in the way of advise if someone is in the know please ! Love these radios very much. I am figuring on using some Deoxit Spray with a few direct squirts on where the buttons make contact either from top or bottom where ever the best easist way to do this is.

Also I'm thinking in terms of similar or possibly same parts swap out if need be, if it comes to that. I've got a couple SBE Keycom 1000's that appears to have the very similar setup microprocessor wise it seems and button layout serving same functions basically. Can anyone concur with me on this and confirm ?

Finally, can anyone recommend also some insightful folks to speak to about this here on WWDX ?

Thanks for looking and I hope to get some help very soon, as I'm quite excited to get this radio working sooner than later !!!

James

Photo of bottom taken off...

Attachments

• 2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 14.jpg
    2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 14.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 15.jpg
    2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 15.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 20
Pics of top section top off...

Attachments

• 2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 16.jpg
    2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 16.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 17.jpg
    2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 17.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 18.jpg
    2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 18.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 19.jpg
    2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 19.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 20.jpg
    2nd SBE Console 6 eBay find 20.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 14
Its 35 years old.
Clean all switches and pots with pot cleaner.
Recap the entire radio.
Clean off and replace all thermal compound on heat sinks/transistors.
Check and re-solder any iffy-looking solder joints.
. . . Just for starters.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/sbe/sbe_console_vi/index.htm

And hope that none of the IC's have failed and that someone here has some with experience with it. Oh yeah; and that there is a Service Manual available from Sam's Photofacts . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned