• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Schottky diodes....

Replace the limiter. That is a stupid mod and never works well, except to make AM transmit work better - at the cost of ruining SSB transmit audio. A fact that has been proven over and over again.

Schottky diodes aren't a threat to any radio and work better than the OEM diodes. Doubt very much that is the problem.

Lol, Not saying the schottkys are the problem. They're part of the solution. I did notice I can NEVER fire skip on SSB when it comes in.... Where on the board is the Q39? Hopefully he didn't completely cut it off and just a leg..... But I got a feeling.... If he did, What is the part number I replace it with? Or should I try to find it in a parts list?

most of the time if the limiter is pulled you just need to lower your mic gain so it does not over drive the radio.

I have a external DSP processor box and it can wipe out the desired signal if not set up.

Yes indeedy! That's what I said.
The radio needs to be properly adjusted as well. I have ham radios that if you don't have the AGC and other items set correctly you won't hear a weak station at all.
I don't and didn't recommend a DSP filter type box that requires playing with three or four knobs in concert in order to drop unwanted noise. I've never had one of those DSP filter boxes but I did own the West Mountain DSP speaker. It's phenomenal. All one needs to do is turn the knob that controls the amount of processing. It's located right on the front of the speaker. A single knob as opposed to four. You can choose a setting from 1 to 8 (I believe) There's even an optional device allowing for the speaker to be hooked up to two receivers without having to go back and forth between radios. After watching YouTube clips i was so impressed I bought it. Even though I don't experience any RFI the DSP speaker by West Mountain made my double conversion Madison sound like a quad conversion front end. No joke they really work. A pleasure to listen to anything coming out of that speaker. There are YouTube clips showing the west mountain dropping s9 power line noise down to S1. Depending on how much processing you use one can also totally remove another signal while pulling out a particular one. 73

It's back in now. With a 1K ohm resistor on the middle leg.
Well, I should say, I took it back to him and told him to put it back in with a 1K on the emitter leg. Well, AM mod went down to NOTHING and SSB seems to act the same as before. Don't have an external meter to reflect anything, Only going off internal for now. Now if SSb is garbled or not on TX, I have no idea. He didn't jack with the AGC that I know of since on SSB the meter pegs back out with just noise floor and stays low on AM. Who knows. He called the resistor a "mod" and that I should "Stop reading those forums".... Hell, He might be on here for all I know. He is. Just found a "username".
Sounds like you're dealing with a golden screwdriver. Stop sending him your equipment. He'll just keep selling you dreams. Snake oil. Tecs who are on the up and up will tell you this diode isn't worth the time and money. Don't get fleeced. Cut your losses. find an honest Tech or a person on this site who will lead you in the right direction. There are many so-called tecs out there who will turn a $300 radio into a $700 piece of junk in no time and laugh all the way to the bank.

If I'm reading these data sheets correctly, Which, Not all agree, But the majority say the far right leg, Flat side facing you, Is the Emitter leg. Is this correct? The pads are already trying to lift......

Last edited:
Alright. It seems, With the resistor on ANY leg of the limiter, It pulls modulation down to nothing on either mode....

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!