• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Screwdriver antennas

blood

Nov 14, 2011
Anyone could give me an idea which screwdriver antenna would be the best one to purchase. I have the predator screwdriver antenna but it seems like like the motor is dead and the company was sold to a guy in Texas. The original owner gave me the new owner phone number and I called the guy but he doesn't seem to be the person to do business with. Any suggestions on antenna or where I can get a heavy duty motor that will fit that antenna if I can manage to pull it apart and repair it

It all depends on how much money you want to spend but I don't think you could go wrong with a Tarheel. I use a High Sierra Sidekick but they are no longer made.

Too bad about your Predator antenna. The ones I have seen were rather large and had a internal motorized matching device along with the antenna motor, nice design I thought.
Since Predator is no longer in business, a direct replacement is not likely for the motor.

I use Tarheel antennas and been happy with them. They are the only ones that offer a wide assortment of antenna mounts and accessories. They make antennas from 4 ft down to 2 ft. with high power (legal limit) to 500 watt and 150 watt low power models too.

Scorpion antennas look to be well made and have a beautiful look to them and their antennas use 3 in. diameter coils. They are the more expensive screwdriver antenna and are heavy so a good sold mount is required.

HI-Q makes some interesting screwdriver antennas with many variations and should be looked as well.

The Yaesu ATAS 120 is really proprietary for Yaesu radios. MFJ does make an interface device so you can use that antenna with other radios, but the antenna will not auto-tune like it will with Yaesu radios, it will simply manual tune.

There maybe a few more independent antenna makers but those mentioned above is about it for commercially made ones and these manufactures have been around a while and will probably continue to do so.

Hope that helps you with your decision.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated