• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SDRPLAY- rsp2pro antenna connections

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi guys, i have a rsp2 sitting here i have not used but lately i have thought about digging it out of the drawer and using it. Mostly interested in hf including cb band. I have a long wire out back running into a nooelec balun then a coax feedline coming into my shack. I also have a a99 cb antenna and coax feeding in as well. I am thinking the 11m tuned a99 is going to give me better results for cb listening then using my longwire out back. My question is, on the rsp2 antenna connections which would be best to connect the a99. Im thinking Ant-A rather then the high Z connector which i think is there more for longwire / balun use. I read the high z connector is best for very
low coverage under 2mhz. Maybe someone is using one of these sdrplay rsp2 and can shed some light here. Thx in advance!

RSP2 owner here. I've used the high Z connector and the Ant A port, and frankly, I don't see a huge difference for HF listening. The issue with the RSP2 is overload. If you have it connected to a good external antenna, the unit will easily overload, especially at night. Easily fixed with the gain adjustment.

For connecting to something like an Antron for upper HF listening, I would recommend getting a short bit of RG58 with an SMA connector on one end for connection to Ant-A and a SO-239 on the other end that you can use to connect your Antron feedline or any other coaxial fed antenna coming into your operating location. That's what I use.

I've had my RSP2 since early 2017. Great SDR.

Thanks Hilltop for the reply. Ive owned my rsp2pro for a few years and only recently started to use it. I was looking at their newer models and for what i listen too i think ill just stay with the one i have for now. I dont think there would be any benefit to getting an rsp1a. The rspdx and its current price doesnt really make sense for me either for what i do with sdr.

Most people use an IF tap within the radio with an SDR so you're essentially sharing the antenna the radio is hooked up to and you can TX the radio safely without damaging the SDR.

I would look into doing that.

If you don't want to mod a radio, MFJ sells a SDR T/R switch box so you can safely do the same thing. I used one and it works well.

Reactions: jrd426

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.