• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sealing connections

JimmyG

Apr 22, 2012
I was studying about sealing connections, everything from antennas to coax connections,etc. I was wondering if anyone ever used that spray on black rubber stuff as a sealant? I have used it on other things before and if built up with a few layers, seems to be pretty good stuff. Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has used it on any of their radio outdoor sealing jobs?

I have used it on my arrow dual band jpole. It has been good in central New York weather stop far. I used it on the metal mast prior to attaching the jpole and then sprayed the pl 259/so 239 connection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I use silicon rescue tape now. It weather seals and comes off easily when it's time. I used to use coax seal but it as a mess and i could never get it to come completely off my nice expensive connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still do the same thing I did 35 years ago. I tape all my connections good using a decent tape like Scotch 33 or Scotch 88 and then apply a generous coating of silicone sealant to the entire thing. This makes everything 100% waterproof and if the need arises to take it apart a simple slice thru the silicone and tape is all that is needed to peel it off. The tape keeps the silicone from sticking to the connectors and ruining them.I have had outdoor connections last 20 years using this method.YMMV but I will use what has worked for me the last few decades.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.