• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Seeking help with antenna installation in a new RV

M

main

One or more 2" receivers mounted to the rear bumper of the trailer make a good starting point for antenna mounts. Your local weldor/fabricator should be able to solve any of your antenna mount needs.

Tried the LG4-M2 on my motor home and didn't much care for it. Works pretty OK for 1-40 but not much more than that and the coax is very length sensitive.

If your camping and have some trees around, throw up some dipoles. Fun stuff !

Main

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=main@worldwidecbradioclub>main</A> 
usflag2.gif
at: 8/17/03 10:06 am

One or more 2" receivers mounted to the rear bumper of the trailer make a good starting point for antenna mounts. Your local weldor/fabricator should be able to solve any of your antenna mount needs.

Tried the LG4-M2 on my motor home and didn't much care for it. Works pretty OK for 1-40 but not much more than that and the coax is very length sensitive.

If your camping and have some trees around, throw up some dipoles. Fun stuff !

Main

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=main@worldwidecbradioclub>main</A> 
usflag2.gif
at: 8/17/03 10:06 am

*I haven't tried it yet* but my thoughts on this are kinda like Doc said, a 2'x4' thin sheet metal on the roof and stick on a mag mt antenna.

Wm. Warlock "71 and the long black limousine in Va"

Rollingradios@aol.com

Nat. Rep for XForce/Magna Force Customer Service and Support

</p>

*I haven't tried it yet* but my thoughts on this are kinda like Doc said, a 2'x4' thin sheet metal on the roof and stick on a mag mt antenna.

Rollingradios@aol.com

</p>

I mounted an 8" rat shack pole on mine, grounded to the metal frame. On top of the pole, a "lay down mount" connected to the Imax 2000. When I pull it down the road, I can lay the Imax down. Park, and stand it up.

Also have a short ground strap bolted to a short ground rod, that I drive in the ground.

SWRs are flat, but it most of the time it is parked at the hunting lease.

Have fun with the RV.....

skeetermansig.gif

</p>

I mounted an 8" rat shack pole on mine, grounded to the metal frame. On top of the pole, a "lay down mount" connected to the Imax 2000. When I pull it down the road, I can lay the Imax down. Park, and stand it up.

Also have a short ground strap bolted to a short ground rod, that I drive in the ground.

SWRs are flat, but it most of the time it is parked at the hunting lease.

Have fun with the RV.....

skeetermansig.gif

</p>

Keep us posted Paul. I'd love to try my sheet metal idea, just haven't had the opportunity.

Rollingradios@aol.com

</p>

Keep us posted Paul. I'd love to try my sheet metal idea, just haven't had the opportunity.

Rollingradios@aol.com

</p>

The wife and I just took delivery of a new travel trailer.

I am seeking recommendations on a successful antenna installation.

I am looking to install antennas for 11 meters, as well as 6 & 2m/70cm.

The trailer is 33 ft long, has vinyl siding and a rubber coated roof. No ladder or any other metal railings.

The hitch has a power jack on it, so there isn't much room to mount something there.

The rear bumper holds some potential, being a square steel tube.

I have been trying to determine if a "no-ground plane" antenna, like the Firestik LG4-M2, is the only way to go for 11m, or are there other possibilities?

I have seen references to the fact that any antenna, grounded to the steel frame with braided ground strapping would work just as well. Is this true?

What do you recommend?

Appreciate any suggestions.

<span style="color:yellow;">Paul</span>

<span style="color:yellow;">CDX8412</span>

<span style="color:yellow;">OT8412</span>

</p>

The wife and I just took delivery of a new travel trailer.

I am seeking recommendations on a successful antenna installation.

I am looking to install antennas for 11 meters, as well as 6 & 2m/70cm.

The trailer is 33 ft long, has vinyl siding and a rubber coated roof. No ladder or any other metal railings.

The hitch has a power jack on it, so there isn't much room to mount something there.

The rear bumper holds some potential, being a square steel tube.

I have been trying to determine if a "no-ground plane" antenna, like the Firestik LG4-M2, is the only way to go for 11m, or are there other possibilities?

I have seen references to the fact that any antenna, grounded to the steel frame with braided ground strapping would work just as well. Is this true?

What do you recommend?

Appreciate any suggestions.

<span style="color:yellow;">Paul</span>

<span style="color:yellow;">CDX8412</span>

<span style="color:yellow;">OT8412</span>

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.